Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Clip for Optical Tube Viewfinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lobalobo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Using Clip for Optical Tube Viewfinder Reply with quote

On a Crown Graphic, I removed the optical tube viewfinder and purchased modern zoom versions that cover the focal lengths of my lenses. The new viewfinders fit into a standard modern cold shoe (same as SLR flash hotshoe) and so have connections both smaller and thick than the clip for the 1940s tube finder.

Although I could glue a modern cold shoe onto the plate of the old clip, I'd prefer not to permanently alter the camera. Any ideas that doesn't require metal work: that is, I could try to cut or fold sheet metal into the shape of the old receptor than glue the new cold shoe onto the metal, but I'm hoping for something simpler. Any ideas would be welcome.[/img]
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To post images on this site you must upload them to an image hosting site then use the supplied code to embed them here or link to them.

Are we to assume you have a side rangefinder Crown with Graphic Optical Viewfinder?
George B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.flickr.com/groups/graflex/discuss/72157655102858959/
Lobalobo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:

Are we to assume you have a side rangefinder Crown with Graphic Optical Viewfinder?

Yes, a side rangefinder Crown, by design, but no rangefinder on the camera.
Lobalobo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George B wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/graflex/discuss/72157655102858959/

Your post wins the award for most spot-on response (particularly when adjusted for level of difficulty, or in this case weirdness, in the request). Thanks so much. Sadly, the ebay link came up blank. I did email the designer directly. So we'll see. Thanks so much.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The optical viewfinder of a Crown/Speed with a Graphic (top mount) rangefinder is an integral part of the rangefinder cover.
A Crown/Speed with a side or no rangefinder has the optical viewfinder mounted on the camera top with three machine screws in the shoe of the finder with a retainer plate on the under side of the camera top. It would be easy enough to drill a cold shoe to mount to the body with or without the optical shoe retainer plate.
The body of all versions Crown/Speed are 1/4 inch thick Mahogany, the covering is Naugahyde aka letterette.
Lobalobo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Quote:

The optical viewfinder of a Crown/Speed with a Graphic (top mount) rangefinder is an integral part of the rangefinder cover.
A Crown/Speed with a side or no rangefinder has the optical viewfinder mounted on the camera top with three machine screws in the shoe of the finder with a retainer plate on the under side of the camera top. It would be easy enough to drill a cold shoe to mount to the body with or without the optical shoe retainer plate.
The body of all versions Crown/Speed are 1/4 inch thick Mahogany, the covering is Naugahyde aka letterette.

Thanks, and I did think of this, but for whatever reason I'm reluctant to permanently alter the body of the camera.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Dremel with cutoff wheels, a drill and bits?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-x-48-in-Aluminum-Flat-Bar-with-1-8-in-Thick-801987/204273937
Form a piece to fit the view finder shoe then attach the cold shoe to with screws or glue.
Aluminum bar is available at a verity of stores if a big orange box is not near by plus there's online ordering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: