Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacemaker Speedgraphic: Broken tab on ground glass casing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjwyatt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Pacemaker Speedgraphic: Broken tab on ground glass casing Reply with quote

Hello all:

I ended up with a Speed Graphic from my dad. I am starting to shoot film again, and am interested in using this. As I am inspecting it, one of the biggest issues I see so far is one of the "tabs" on the ground glass casing is broken. I can insert a film holder, but wonder if there is any issue in using the camera like this. I think I can get a replacement casing, but would need to transfer all the hardware including glass, springs, etc. Any thoughts?

broken Ground Glass Casing by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr[/img]

I wonder if this would work. Mine appears to be ~1949 Pacemaker 4x5 Speed Graphic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Graphic-4x5-Film-Spring-Back-Graflex-/163324450150?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
markjwyatt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Pacemaker Speedgraphic: Broken tab on ground glass casing Reply with quote

This is an easier answer, but a bit costlier:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAFLEX-4X5-COMPLETE-GRAFLOK-BACK-W-SCREWS-CROWN-SPEED-GRAPHIC-NICE/362454112433?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131227121020%26meid%3D528936c9a85e4606afff3e4e1b810bf8%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D163324450150%26itm%3D362454112433&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

The one I linked in the OP does not look correct for my camera.

I would rather use it as it is first, see if everything else is working , then consider buying a new back. I do have a "23" roll film back also, but I do not know if the rangefinder is working, etc., and really want to shoot 4x5.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That missing chunk appears to be cosmetic. The back frame is Magnesium.

The first focus panel you linked to is for a Graphic aka spring back.

The second link is a Graflok back which your camera has.

Quote:
Mine appears to be ~1949 Pacemaker 4x5 Speed Graphic.

What is the serial number?

http://www.graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf
markjwyatt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:

What is the serial number?

http://www.graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf

Body: 835142
Lens: EI7649 (Ektar f4.7 127mm)

Thanks for the PDF. It looks very helpful.
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

835142 is in the first batch of serial numbers listed but the exact date is not recorded. Its in the middle of a 20.000 batch listed in 1948 with the next batch listed in 1950. Cameras were retro fitted with the Graflok back and may have been retrofitted with one that uses the Ektalite Field Screen (fresnel). Lots of confusion around this time as Folmer Graflex was purchased by General Precision Equipment and made a department of the company.

Quote:
Lens: EI7649 (Ektar f4.7 127mm)

https://graflex.org/speed-graphic/lenses.html#EktarLenses
Shows this to be a 1948 lens and at 7xxx its likely last half of 1948 to the end of 1948.

Check that the ground glass sits parallel to the film plane.
markjwyatt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shutterfinger wrote:

Check that the ground glass sits parallel to the film plane.

Not sure what a good reference surface is to do that. I can get a level on the 5" dimension of the glass and square it in place, but I do not see another surface I trust as the film plane reference for comparison. I need a smaller level.

Is there another way? Maybe I can put in a film holder without a dark slide, remove the glass and check the level of the film holder backside?

I also notice that the whole assemble does rock in place ( a few mm) as you push on the corners, so not sure how precise any level really is.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the back. Lay a straight edge across the back frame and measure the distance from the straight edge to the gg at multiple places. I usually make a grid of thirds both horizontally and vertically measuring at the center of each section. All should be the same. With a film holder in place, darkslide removed, sheet of film in the film holder the distance to the surface of the film should be the same as the distance to the ground glass.
I have encountered film holders with one side deep than the other. If you have a difference between sides of the holder try a different holder.

Sheet film holder tolerances: http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html

Be sure both sides of the back frame are the same as some cameras have ridges that make this measurement difficult. The Graphic should be fairly easy.

Its also common for a first quarter camera to have a previous year last quarter lens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: