Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miniature Speed Graphic and National Graflex Series II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bretpim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Miniature Speed Graphic and National Graflex Series II Reply with quote

I inherited my father's Miniature Speed Graphic (with Graphic (spring) back) and National Graflex Series II. Other than missing the film holder for the Speed Graphic, it seems to be in good working order. Both curtains on the National Graflex Series II have detached from one spool. I think the inner curtain has detached from left spool and outer curtain from right spool. From reading the forums here I have the sense that this is a repair that I can do on my own. I have some questions:

1) Many posts recommend Pledge Natural Beauty for rejuvenating the curtains, bellows and even leather. But I found a 2016 post that suggests the formula may have changed. Is this product still a good choice for the job?

2) What do people recommend for gluing small bits of the exterior leather that have detached from metal body?

I am looking for advice about reattaching the curtains to their spools on the National Graflex. On the left spool I can see where the fabric was attached. It is attached for all but 4mm of the spool circumference. On the right spool, there is only an extremely thin gap in the remains of the glue so it looks like this one may have been glued all the way around.

3) My guess is the positioning of the curtains on the spools is pretty important. Is this true? If I am off by 1-2 millimeters how bad is that?

4) should I remove the remains of the old glue from the curtain and spool? How?

5) Should I take the camera apart to do the repair?

6) any help is appreciated.

Finally, the National Graflex came in a black leather case with purple velvet lining. It says "MADE IN BELGIUM" under the flab and on the back of the locking mechanism "D.R.G.M." is stamped.

7) Does anyone have a similar case?

thanks
brett
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Pledge in the yellow can works even the new stuff.
2. Pliobond contact cement applied to one surface, press in place, hold until set. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMOTIVE-MARINE-AIRCRAFT-HOME-APPROVED-Adhesive-Pliobond-25-LV-3oz-Bottle/302861672741?epid=2241193682&hash=item4683f66125:g:kdkAAOSwJ7RYWCcw
3., 4., 5 READ https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6844
The curtain does not go completely around the spool(s). They only go part way.

I wrote the post while it was fresh on my mind after servicing two of them.
They are a PITA.
bretpim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 45PSS.

I have started taking it apart and found that I am missing the ground glass. Where can I buy ground glass in specific sizes? Is there a specific thickness I need to get? Will the ground side go up or down? I am also missing the aluminum frame piece referred to in step 3) of the servicing directions. Since there are no picture I am not sure what this piece is doing and how I might be able to replace it.

I went to my local hardware store and they had two different kinds of "contact cement". One was "Solvent Contact Cement" and "Latex Contact Cement" Which is better for not getting hard or brittle with age?

I may have more questions when I get further into the take-apart.

thanks
brett
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have started taking it apart and found that I am missing the ground glass. Where can I buy ground glass in specific sizes? Is there a specific thickness I need to get? Will the ground side go up or down? I am also missing the aluminum frame piece referred to in step 3) of the servicing directions. Since there are no picture I am not sure what this piece is doing and how I might be able to replace it.

Try ebay for the gg. A custom cut can be more expensive than a standard size. You can cut a larger gg down to size with a glass cutter but pratice on a piece of scrap glass first. Some just make their own gg, search engine making ground glass.
1/8 inch (3mm) thick is the common size used.
The ground side always faces the lens.
Quote:
I went to my local hardware store and they had two different kinds of "contact cement". One was "Solvent Contact Cement" and "Latex Contact Cement" Which is better for not getting hard or brittle with age?

Get the laytex based as it cleans up with water while wet and rubs off when dry. Solvent based has to be cleaned up with solvent which may damage camera surfaces.

Leave me your email in a private message and I send you some pictures of the frame/camera disassembled.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ground side of the GG should face the lens. Because of this, thickness is irrelevant.
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The ground side of the GG should face the lens. Because of this, thickness is irrelevant.

The National Graflex will only accept 1/16 inch ground glass.
The measurements are 2.66 inch / 67.55mm X 2 inch / 50.8mm X 1/16 inch / 1.65mm.
bretpim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carefully reattached the curtains to the spools keeping the same length glued on as it was originally (this took some careful matching of the glue residue on the curtain to the residue on the spools). I have cleaned and moistened the curtains with Pledge. But I still have very sticky patches on the curtains that I am worried will affect performance. I have tried scraping them off but I began to notice that I was damaging the fabric so I stopped. What else can I do to get rid of these?

I was missing the ground glass and I bought a sheet on ebay. I will be cutting it to size soon and then I will meet with my friend with a machine shop to devise some brackets to hold the glass in place.

thanks for all you help
bretpim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When putting my National Graflex back together with 45PSS's instructions I noticed that I am missing both the film guide rollers and the curtain cover.

I have posted a new topic asking if anyone has these parts

thanks
brett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: