Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ripped curtain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brendanbarryphoto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Ripped curtain Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and was hoping someone may be able to help me. I have just been given a Speed Graphic camera with a rear shutter that I plan to use as a make shift shutter for an ultra large camera I built out of an old caravan (I believe you call them campers in the States).

https://brendanbarry.co.uk/portfolio-category/caravan-camera/

I use a range of Apo Nikkor process lenses (610mm, 760mm, 890mm and a massive 1200mm which has a 4 inch diameter, so the 4.5 inch opening of the camera shutter is perfect). Up until now I have been just taking the lens cap on and off to make an exposure but I want more control and more exact times.

Anyway, the curtain has snapped! I have searched through this forum and lots of really helpful advice but to be honest a lot of the descriptions and guidance goes over my head as I don’t know anything really about these cameras and the terminology involved!

I’m thinking of taking the bottom roller thing that the curtain winds onto out and then use some Beacon Fabri-tac to patch up the tear with a piece of shutter curtain from an old slr I have cut down to size (making sure to patch on both sides, the torn side and the other side also so it runs smooth). Am I on the right track here?! If I’m way out could anyone direct me to a link/video/instructions that could guide me through this, and what materials I would need?

Here’s a couple of images to show the damage and the camera. https://brendanbarry.viewbook.com/album/speed-graphic

I’d really appreciate any help or guidance,
Many thanks in advance,
Brendan

[/img]
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a post 1955 Pacemaker Speed with the rangefinder removed.
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf is the factory service manual for this vintage camera.

Cut the patch piece of material 13mm to 19mm either side of the tear for added strength. You can use rip stop nylon for this repair if needed. You are on the right track for the curtain repair.

As these cameras age the tensioning spring weakens, the roller shafts and bushings wear resulting in the shutter not running the marked speed so testing is in order. The average time the aperture takes to go across the frame is 55 milliseconds for slow speeds to 45 milliseconds for fast speeds.
https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6105

You could likely repair the shutter, remove the bed and bellows, then use the box with shutter over the rear of the lens.
brendanbarryphoto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you 45PSS for your response!

I tried patching with a piece of material, I used Fabri-Tac but it just peeled off the shutter curtain when dry.

Any ideas of a adhesive that would be better?
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used Fabri-Tac but it just peeled off the shutter curtain when dry.

Its been holding well for me, cloth to cloth, maybe you were going rubber to rubber.
Pliobond contact cement or similar contact cement will work. Attach the patch on the cloth side.
brendanbarryphoto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 45PSS, I used some Evo-Stik Instant Contact Adhesive and it worked perfectly! Put it all back together and it's running just right! Thank you for all your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: