Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to forum and my new used Super Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arielv13

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: New to forum and my new used Super Graphic Reply with quote

Hi All -

I just purchased a Super Graphic camera with a 120 back. I ran my first roll of film through the back last week. For some reason, only the last four images recorded to film. Those images were exposed properly and in focus. I'll chalk the unexposed images up to user error for now.

I'd very much like to shoot 4x5 sheet film in the camera an focus using a ground glass rather than the range finder. I'd also like to be able to shoot instant film in the camera (Fuji FP100C). I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what to purchase (and where to purchase), in order to accomplish these goals.

I'd love to hear your collective thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Ariel
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghaXh3eDAxZW9UOFU/view?usp=sharing
Do you have the focus panel?
Quote:
For some reason, only the last four images recorded to film. Those images were exposed properly and in focus.

Did you remove the darkslide before making each shot?
Yes - remove the roll film holder, set the aperture to wide open, then cock and release the shutter at each speed several times while looking through the camera, do you see a brief flash of light each time?

The serial number for the first version was on the body trim left of the lens (which may be hard to see) and the second version is above the battery opening. Both versions look and operate the same.
hsandler

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum and my new used Super Graphic Reply with quote

arielv13 wrote:
Hi All -

I'd very much like to shoot 4x5 sheet film in the camera an focus using a ground glass rather than the range finder. I'd also like to be able to shoot instant film in the camera (Fuji FP100C). I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what to purchase (and where to purchase), in order to accomplish these goals.

Ariel

Hi Ariel, For 4x5 sheet film you need a Graflok ground glass viewer and hood and a few 4x5 sheet film holders (just about all are Graflok compatible). Lisco, Riteway, Graphic are all fine. After you compose and focus on the ground glass you either tuck the film holder in behind the viewer, which holds the film holder against the back via a spring, or you could remove the viewer and hood entirely and attach the film holder with the slide locks, which are part of the Graflok back. There really isn't a need to do this though. Then you make sure the shutter is closed, set the shutter speed and aperture you want, pull out the dark slide from your holder, take the shot, then put the dark slide back and remove the film holder.

For Fuji FP-100c (which is 3x4 size intended for Polaroid Land 100 - 450 cameras) you need a Polaroid 505 back. Note that the FP-100c film was discontinued about 2 years ago, and remaining stocks are getting expensive. Also note that since the FP100c is physically smaller than 4x5, you need to compose on the ground glass so your composition doesn't go out to the edges of the ground glass; i.e. there is a crop factor, so your lenses give the equivalent angle of view of somewhat longer lenses on 4x5. The 127mm Ektar which is slightly wide on 4x5 is closer to normal on 3x4.

Note that there is also a 545 back which is for the Fuji FP100c45 size of instant film which is even longer discontinued and hence even more rare and expensive. You will probably want to stay away from that.

Having both medium-format cameras and a Crown Graphic 4x5, I would venture to say that it's definitely worth trying 4x5 sheet film to get the most out of a Graphic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: