Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto Graflex Spring Tension Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrTrabold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Auto Graflex Spring Tension Help Reply with quote

I have an old Auto Graflex of my grandparents, a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 model. The tension on the lower spring has been completely released. I'd like to at least get the camera to pull the curtain through its cycle of possibilities before selling it. Can anyone tell me which direction I should turn the adjustment screw and how far I should turn it to at least get it functioning, if not accurately. Thanks in advance.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question that comes to mind is How did the tension get released? Curtain break? Taken apart then put back together without setting the tension? tensioning spring break?
Download this servicing guide/instructions
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghRkRId1EwT0dpNkk/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-JlLEG0Yi_nEVpc73579Mpw

The initial tension is set holding the tension plate disengaged from the tensioning shaft, the shaft turned counterclockwise, the number of turns depends on the condition of the spring, curtain, roller bushings and shafts.
Like new is 6 to 8 turns, weak or heavily worn 15 to 20.
All is explained in the servicing guide.

The Auto Graflex is a Reflex camera. There may be more posts on it in the Reflex Help section.

Last edited by 45PSS on Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrTrabold

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderfully informative answer. Thanks for your assistance. It's much appreciated. The fun of any full cleaning is going to be getting the top plate off and removing the pin in the mirror lever. I may not be the right person to do that for fear of bending the rod. I may let someone more knowledgeable who eventually owns the camera do that, though the manual is quite helpful in explaining most things.

I hope the manual tells what position the gear on the bottom plate should be in when tightening the spring---1 or 6. I assume at this point 1, the lowest tension?

As to why the tension was released in the first place, call it curiosity. I wanted to see how the thing worked and if I could get away with simply tightening the spring to get the curtain (still in relatively good, albeit crinkled state) to move again. When removing the lower plate, the tension became fully released and I didn't know what to do from there. Hence the question.

Any other suggestions and helpful points and tips from all would be welcomed.

Bill
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One camera I serviced I had to remove the mirror shaft and soak the H lever in penetrating oil for 3 days to get the pin to come out. With the view hood removed, the view screen removed you should be able to see the 3 countersunk screws that hold the mirror frame to the shaft. The mirror release spring on the left side of the also has to be removed then the mirror can be pulled out of the body with some twisting and pulling.

The initial tension is set at 1.
I would remove the back then unroll the curtain off both rollers and spray it with Pledge Furniture Polish (yellow can), let it sit 30 minutes to an hour, wipe it dry, then roll it up on the lower roller.

The rubber coating swells with age and will become too thick to wind to the smallest opening. The curtain was .007 inch thick from the factory, the thickest I've seen is .025 inch. I've encountered some models that .015 thickness was too much.
If the curtain is crinkled its likely going to require recoating or replacing to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: