Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

removing tension plate from an Anniversary Speed Graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
altb44

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: removing tension plate from an Anniversary Speed Graphic Reply with quote

I'm replacing the focal shutter curtain assembly on my Anniversary Speed Graphic. To do this, I need to remove the plates that control the curtain. The top one was easy. I'm having some trouble with removing the bottom tension plate. According to the manual and a really helpful site I found on restoring Anniversary Speed Graphics, I need a special tool to remove the snail washer inside the knob that turns the tension, so I can remove the bottom rod. I don't have this tool, so I tried with a pair of needle nose pliers, but no go. Does anyone have any advice?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/AnniversaryService1.pdf

The service manual says to use a pair of pliers to hold the snail and the special tool to remove the snail lockout.
Being the camera is 70+ years old the snail lockout is likely stuck to the snail. Get some penetrating oil and apply to the snail lockout and snail with the camera laying on its side and let it sit for a day or two reapplying the penetrating oil as needed to keep the snail moist with the oil.

Holding the snail with the curved jaw section of a pair of slip joint pliers engage the snail lockout with a pair of needle nose pliers or adjustable spanner wrench then while turning the lockout counter clockwise turn the snail clockwise. I have encountered some that required around 50 foot pounds of torque to break loose.
The same design was used on Speed Graphics from introduction through the Anniversary with some plate design changes.

Reassembly: put the snail lockout on upside down then screw the snail down onto it until the two are locked together, the snail should be at least 3 turns onto the tension shaft to hold. Set the initial tension, secure the plate in place on tension 1 then remove the snail and lockout and install in correct order.
altb44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Anniversary assembly Reply with quote

Thanks, that helped a lot. Now all I have to do is get the shutter curtain straight!
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a square against a flange end and mark a line down the roller tube.
altb44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: more Anniversary restoration woes Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of this restoration thing. Got the plates off...got the shutter all ready to go...now I realize I have lost that tiny sliver like dog spring that goes in the tension plate.

argggh.

Just how necessary is this spring? And if it's essential, how do I get another one, since the company has been long gone? or maybe make one?

Please help!

Thanks
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
now I realize I have lost that tiny sliver like dog spring that goes in the tension plate.

Yesterday I decided to tear down a Kodak Pocket #3 model H folder.
I disassembled the ball bearing shutter and while putting the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner I dropped one of the bearing balls, they are .0625 (1/16) inch in diameter.
After searching the floor by hand, with a strong extension magnet and vacuuming with a wet/dry vac examining the collected contents of the vacuum the bearing remained missing.
After reassembling the other 4 bearings and spacers I decided to check the workbench (desk) legs again then as I started to get up the bearing was laying on top of the carpet next to where my knee was, it had been pushed up out of the carpet by the pressure.

Quote:
Just how necessary is this spring? And if it's essential, how do I get another one
I rarely take that spring out, it only fits and works one way. It is necessary for the tension setting to hold as the paw will not stay in the correct position without it.
Search and search again as if you were looking for it the first time.
https://www.amazon.com/SE-8036TM-NEW-Telescopic-Magnet-Pick-Up/dp/B000RB3XBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516742403&sr=8-3&keywords=magnetic+pickup+tool
altb44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH dear that's what I thought. I actually only took the knob and snail locking washer off so I could get the rod out when I unscrewed the plate. I think I lost something...but maybe I didn't. The manual had this little sliver that they called the dog spring so I assumed I lost it. I think. Remember something like it

Did I lose the dog spring or is it still in there? When I move the tension lever there is some resistance

Will be mving everything in my work area and looking with a magnet
Thanks for the link. Looks good
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the service manual the P lever is listed as tension dog, index 24663; its spring is
spring - tension dog, index 15.
The tension dog spring is under the tension dog and not normally visible.
If you removed the tension dog then the spring is off also.
altb44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to look at the manual again, thanks for the direction.
altb44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Anniversary repair Reply with quote

I'm breathing a sigh of relief. I didn't remove the tension dog just the knob and snail nut. So it's still in there.
The exploded diagram I saw is not that clear. I have no idea what the little thing that fell out when I removed the knob was then. All pieces are there and accounted for(including the hidden dog spring I hope but I'm not messing with it to see)

Thanks. I'm still going to get that magnet. .
altb44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Anniversary repair Reply with quote

I'm breathing a sigh of relief. I didn't remove the dog lever, just the knob and snail nut. So it's still in there.
The exploded diagram I saw is not that clear. I have no idea what the little thing that fell out when I removed the knob was then. All pieces are there and accounted for(including the hidden dog spring I hope but I'm not messing with it to see)

Thanks. I'm still going to get that magnet
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no idea what the little thing that fell out when I removed the knob was then.

Spacer used to limit end play of the shaft. Usually between the roller and wind plate for the top roller and between the roller and bushing on the lower.
Looks like a small brass washer, usually .010 thick.
altb44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be it. Ok. I'll be crawling on the floor with a magnet tonight. I'm assuming I can't replace this either
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass is not magnetic.
I uploaded a military parts breakdown for the Anny to my google drive,
download it and others here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1sPJkp-Mdghc0JIYjdQZy05M2M?resourcekey=0-oUWwlWC9xo8TY-pGGNY_Lg&usp=sharing

Last edited by 45PSS on Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
altb44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right. I knew that.

Thanks for the link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: