Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex Crown Graphic Special - Need Battery Cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scomy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Graflex Crown Graphic Special - Need Battery Cover Reply with quote

Hello,
Does anyone know where I can get an original battery compartment cover?
I have seen suggestions that range from making a cover from aluminum stock to using electrical tape to cover the compartment.
This camera is in excellent condition and I would like to keep it complete and stock.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post is not being ignored. Replacement parts are next to non existent.
Battery doors are likely the most common missing part.
Watch the big auction site as one may eventually show up there.
http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/index.htm is a good source for Graflex but they currently show no battery doors.
scomy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the feed back.
I have been watching, and checking around for the original part.
In the meantime, I fabricated a decent replacement cover for the battery compartment. I found a 2mm thick piece of sheet aluminum at the hobby shop. Then I cut out a 57mm x 15mm rectangle, and it fit into the slots for rangefinder's battery compartment door perfectly. Next, I found some nice fine grained black leatherette to dress up the new cover. Actually this looks very handsome and works as good or better than the original part. Unlike the original door, there are no unsightly rivets on the new cover and it can't just fall off like the original door. The best part is that the rangelite feature works perfectly when I install the two AA batteries.
This Crown is very "minty" and I would like to eventually find an original battery compartment door. But for now the new cover looks and works great.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Crown Graphic Battery Door Reply with quote

scomy,
You might also try calling the large format department at Midwest Photo in Columbus, Ohio.
The late Graflex repair person, Mr. Fred Lustig, used to manufacture replacement battery doors for the Super and Super Speed Graphic cameras and they were being sold through Midwest Photo.
At one time, if I recall correctly, Mr. Lustig had indicated that one of his projects was to also make replacement battery doors for the top-rangefinder Crowns and Speeds. I don't know if he ever did start making them but if he did then it's possible that they may have also been made available through Midwest.
scomy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sobahguy,
I contacted Midwest back in September, they were very nice, and their large format Guru told me that they no longer sell parts like the battery cover.
Since then, I was able to win one at an auction site.

Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: