Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I fix the focal plane shutter lag on a Speed Graphic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnny5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: How do I fix the focal plane shutter lag on a Speed Graphic? Reply with quote

I have a '48 Pacemaker Speed Graphic, the focal plane shutter (which is what I mostly use, I don't have the front leaf shutter trigger switch) seems to work fine, except when I hold the camera in a portrait position. Holding it that way makes my shutter lag on anything slower than 1/500. I have disassembled the side of the camera, exposing the gear for the top focal plane roller holding the cloth.

What would I have to adjust or clean to get the camera back in working shape? I don't see a main spring that tensions when the shutter is wound.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You download the factory service manual
http://www.graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf
then you disassemble the shutter, instructions start on manual page 6, pdf page 12. Clean the moving parts including the shaft bushings on the left side. The shaft bushings are under the leatherette covering on some early Pacemakers and outside the leatherette on others, either way they are threaded in and unscrew like standard right hand thread screws. the bushings wear to the shafts so keep their positions, top to top.
The tension spring is inside the lower roller, the roller ends unscrew from the main tube left side first. No need to disassemble it.

Tip, set the curtain to O then with the back removed mark the position of the top stay of the aperture on the case edge. This makes reassembly alignment easier.
johnny5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed the top roller. I cannot find a way to get the other one out without having to cut the curtain or tear through the right side of the camera.

"1. To remove the curtain and rollers assembly (9, figure 2) it will be first necessary to tear out the tension roller seal (10), cemented around the lower tension roller gear."

I do not have this part inside my camera.

"Shift the curtain and roller assembly to the right out of the camera case bearings and lift from the camera case."

I have done this successfully for the top roller, the bottom one has a long black rod that prevents me from pulling it out, theoretically I could, but I would have to tear through the curtain.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That long black rod is the lower tension roller shaft.
If the tension roller seal is not there it was either removed in previous servicing or was not used on your camera.
Whoever wrote these service manuals were not good at writing service manuals, details are left out or steps are out of sequence making it a lot of fun for non technical people and the inexperienced.

Take hold of the gear end of the tension roller shaft and pull it outward as far as it will go then hold in this position while lifting up on the left end of the tension roller until the center of the roller is clear of the case edge then release the shaft and continue lifting out the roller and shaft sliding it to the left.

EDIT:
If you are referring to the guide rollers blocking the curtain roller then with the curtain at O gently pull the curtain strips out of the way and remove the screws holding the guide roller frame to the case then slide the guide roller assembly from under the curtain.
johnny5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have broken the shaft following your instructions and the bottom roller is stuck halfway outside the camera. I can't pull it out and I cannot push it back in. I may have to cut through the curtain. I will wait for a reply first to see if anything can be done.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have my email, send ma a picture or two.
I don't unserstand how you can jam the roller and need to cut the curtain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: