Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sources for 4x5 slotted film holders?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: sources for 4x5 slotted film holders? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I just came into possession of a 4x5 series D and can't wait to get out and shoot. However, my camera only came with a ground glass back and a film pack back. I started the search for 4x5 slotted sheet film holders, but so far have been unsuccessful. I have searched the usual auction site, KEH, and pacific rim - does anyone have any other suggestions for a source for these holders?

thanks!
hporter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They show up on the auction site all the time, though they have been pricey as of late.

BTW, you asked about film holders, but there is a 4x5 6x6 roll film holder for the graflex back on the auction site right now - for a not too obnoxious price.

There is also a 4x5 bag mag for the graflex back on the auction site now with all 12 septums advertised as in good condition. Although they are heavy, you can load 12 sheets of 4x5 film in them all at once.

I am not connected to the seller(s) of these items in any way, I just like to keep an eye out for such things.

Good Luck - I love my RB Series D.
ssf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hporter, thanks for your response. i wasn't aware of the 6x6 option.

i have heard the bag mags are somewhat fiddly, so i am holding out for some standard holders, and might spring for a grafmatic once my wallet recovers from the series D purchase. looks like i just need to have a little patience.
hporter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssf,

You are very welcome.

I'd like to share one other thing that I have learned over the years. Often sellers on the auction site have no idea what they are selling (surprise!). You will see slotted film holders advertised that are actually plate holders that require a film sheath insert to work properly. They work, but you have to make sure the film sheaths are included with the holders. If they don't show the slotted holder with a dark slide removed so that you can see the inside of the holder, be sure to ask the seller before purchasing. If it is a plate holder, you will see a single leaf spring running the long direction of the holder inside. The film sheath insert will sit against this spring and latch in on the bottom of the holder.

The pricing for film sheaths have been all over the place lately too. It would be very disappointing to buy a holder, only to find that you are missing another piece that you need that could cost as much as the holder to buy.

If I have described the above poorly, let me know and I will try to post a link to photo's that will help explain this better.
ssf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hporter, I understand what you mean. it would be a big disappointment to source a holder, only to find it incomplete for my uses. thanks for the heads up.

as an update, i was able to source one slotted holder, but the asking price is $45+shipping. a little too rich for my blood! the search continues...
EdSawyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: convert to Graflok back Reply with quote

Just convert it to a Graflok back. It's fairly easy, should not require much if any shimming of the ground glass, and probably lower cost than getting some 4x5 holders.
rsweatt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have plenty of the 4X5 slotted film holders but am looking for a few (2-4) of the plate holders, and would be glad to trade with anyone interested.
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the bag mags. At first they seem fiddly, but after I got the manual and did some practising I found them very convenient. The manual can be downloaded from Mike Butkus' site:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/graflex_cut_film_magazines.pdf
(Mike deserves the requested $3.)
The manual contains illustrated directions on how to operate the device smoothly, very helpful.
The leather bag should be intact and supple. The septums should be undamaged and complete.
I find it a lot more convenient to load 12 septums at once instead of loading holders a few at a time. Also, a good mag can be found cheaper than 6 individual holders, important for me!
Just my experience, YMMV of course.
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I have it on my google drive in PDF format for free.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghNFVsYXk0a1dUTHM/view?usp=sharing
Bag Magazine for film Plate Magazine for for plates. Plate magazines show up on occasion.
rsweatt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused, can the bagmag be used for either sheet film or plates, or are their different septums for plates and film?
loujon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsweatt wrote:
I'm confused, can the bagmag be used for either sheet film or plates, or are their different septums for plates and film?

The very early bag mags had septums that could accept either plate or film but you had to use provided spacers behind each septum to have proper spacing and to be secure in the septum.FYI The early bag mags have a larger mostly wood body and loading door covered in leather while the later bag mags have less leather and more metal bodies/loading door then the early bag mags.

After the very early version of the all in one bag mag Graflex went to a plate only or film only bag mags and not only are the septums different but so are the bag mab body/shell different. You can tell the difference visually when viewing on eBay as the plate bag mags bodies are thicker then the film bag mags body. If you can get the seller to look on the count window cover on the loading door it will be marked PLATE or FILM. You'll also want to do a good visual check on the leather bag itself. Look for decent looking leather and ask how pliable the leather is as well as obvious holes or rips . I ALWAYS condition the bag w/ a great leather dressing after making sure it's light tight.

I LOVE bag mags and have several and I use them more often then my slotted holders.

BTW-If you do get slotted plate holders remember you can get a set of film inserts for each side of the holder and then you'll have the best of both worlds as far as slotted holders are concerned.
rsweatt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have a few usable bagmags for film as well and do like using them. I did have a few slotted 4X5 plate film holders with sheaths but managed to get rid of them because OBVIOUSLY I would never want to shoot plates...until I did I have a dozen very usable slotted film holders but no way to shoot 4X5 plates, of which I now have a brand new box of 10 dry plates sitting on my shelf waiting to be exposed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: