Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter in savannah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Flash Help Reply with quote

I have recently acquired a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Pathfinder to replace one that was stolen 50 years ago. It is serial number 412841 with a Graflok back so I assume it was made in 1949 or later.

I was surprised how much I remembered about operating the camera — it is a little like riding a bicycle - you never forget how it done. The one thing I have forgotten, if I ever knew, is how to attach a flash to the camera. I cannot discover a way to add a mounting bracket to the camera. There is only the flat steel bar attached to the rangefinder. Also, any idea on where I can purchase the cables?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is serial number 412841 with a Graflok back so I assume it was made in 1949 or later.

412841 is registered to a 2 1/4 Pacemaker Speed Graphic listed for manufacture in February 1947. It has likely been retrofitted with a Graflok.
Does the Graflok have an Ektalite Field Screen aka fresnel?
Quote:
The one thing I have forgotten, if I ever knew, is how to attach a flash to the camera.

What type of flash are you trying to use?
Quote:
There is only the flat steel bar attached to the rangefinder. Also, any idea on where I can purchase the cables?

Page 6 of the Graflite instruction manual http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GrafliteManual.pdf shows the brackets for the Graflite flash. It uses standard household sync cords.
If the rangefinder bracket has a half inch wide by 2 to 3 inch long flat metal bracket attached to it then its for a Graflex synchronizer, the one that is cut up to make the movie prop.
http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/graflex_flash_synchronizer.pdf
Cables for both are available from http://www.paramountcords.com/
peter in savannah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.

The Graflok must have been a retro fit as it does not have a Ektalite screen (unfortuately). Who ever did it, did a superb job. I wish I was in as good a shape as this 70 year old camera.

I have a 2-cell Graflite that I have been using on a Konica-Omega. I had hoped to be able to do a right side mount. If necessary, I can always remove the strap and mount it on the left side. The Graphic flashes have gotten out of reach.

Paramount Cords has sync cords with the bipost head.

Thanks again for the help.

Peter
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Graflok Back https://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack was introduced it did not have a fresnel and was available as a retro fit to earlier models.

The encircling bracket for the rangefinder with the Graflite bracket occasionally show up on ebay.
peter in savannah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Miracles happen Reply with quote

A week ago I managed to get on Ebay a 2-cell flash with the synchronizer bracket that didn't require a second mortgage. Ordered a cable and am now ready to go back to my youth (at least in my mind).

Thanks for the help.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: