Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent Graflex and Speed Graphic gifts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H B Forslund

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Recent Graflex and Speed Graphic gifts. Reply with quote

Located here are my new cameras https://www.flickr.com/photos/15427617@N06/albums/72157681245246536
Any thoughts as to the age of these two? I have spent a good deal of time trying to ID the Graflex-the serial # 76692 does not match up with the book that's on the internet. The Speed Graphic serial #34029A I just put up. The serial# is embossed right in line with a detent for the camera door so I guess they expected this and I'm not missing a number lost to this detent's wear?
Also, I found a great story about Murray Becker, who caught the Hindenburg disaster with a Graflex, detailing his actions needed to produce the series of five shots in just 45 seconds: https://www.flickr.com/photos/captkodak/271862417/in/faves-15427617@N06/
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflex s/n 76692 is in a batch of 250 serial numbers for 3x4 RB Telescopic Graflexes. The non-book is vague about when the batch was assigned. Perhaps "prior to 1916" but I wouldn't count on that.

Check your Speed Graphic's s/n. 34029A is impossible. A block of 4x5 Speed Graphic serial numbers 339696 to 243195 was assigned sometime in 1944.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dan on 76692, 1916-1918 best guess. Date records were not kept until 1923 and then only when the order was placed not when the cameras were made.
Your 3x4 Speed graphic will have the serial number ink stamped on the bottom side of the camera top, handle side. Leave the front standard in the body and use a flash light to see it.
The lens looks to be original to the camera. ER is 1945. Such closeups hinder identification except when exact detail is needed.
https://graflex.org/speed-graphic/lenses.html#EktarLenses
H B Forslund

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you for the informative replies! I will follow thru on the suggestions for the s/n. I can only guess as to what it'll take to make either one photo capable.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

34029A is likely a part number for the bed or the bed hinge.
Identification pictures should show the full sides of the camera, the front, back and the top. Close up of the lens to show its id ring so that it can be read and close ups of the controls are optional.

The Telescopic was replaced by the Series B in 1923 but there are 1922 Telescopics badged from the factory as Series B and 1923/24 Series B badged as Telescopic.
Sharoun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The definitive Speed Graphic group on flickr. Upload pictures taken with all models of Graflex Speed Graphic cameras. Polaroids and film formats accepted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: