Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARISTA.edu 100 and 400

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben_hutcherson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: ARISTA.edu 100 and 400 Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with the above film?

I've just bought a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic as my entry into large format photography. I wish I'd done this years ago, as I'm finding that a lot of my favorite emulsions like Velvia 50 and Tri-X 400 are no longer available, but in any case I digress.

I've bought a box of FP-4+(my defacto Plus-X replacement, even though I prefer Plus-X) but I have to admit that the Arista offering is attractively priced at least for learning the ins and outs of the camera.

I'd appreciate thoughts on the above.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Arista EDU Ultra 400 to test cameras with in both 4x5 and 120 formats. I process it in HC110. Its reportedly made by Foma.
Its a good inexpensive film that relys on dyes more than silver.
ben_hutcherson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I'm getting ready to put together an order from B&H-I'm going to pick up some 120 and 35mm rolls also.

As I mentioned, I have some FP4+ on the way, so at least I'll have a familiar film to play with also.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Freestyle http://www.freestylephoto.biz/
ben_hutcherson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a fair bit of business with Freestyle, but I usually give in and order film from B&H since I get it faster and cheaper from NYC than from CA.

With that said, the 10% off on Kodak that Freestyle is now running makes them attractive.

Also, I'm seriously considering taking the plunge on doing E-6 at home given that there are NO labs in the area that can handle E-6. Granted with 4x5 E6 being ~$3.50 a sheet the $5 that the California labs charge doesn't seem that bad to know it will be done right. I'm just anxious about mailing film the film to them(do those of you who use send-off labs send your holders?),

The E-6 kits from Freestyle are very attractive also. I do have tons of expired 35mm and 120 E-6 that I got for cheap/free to learn on. Even though these are expired, I've been shooting out of the same respective stashes for years so I know what they SHOULD look like.
MultiFormat Shooter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Velvia 50 Reply with quote

ben_hutcherson wrote:
my favorite emulsions like Velvia 50 and Tri-X 400 are no longer available.

Just as an FYI, you can still get Velvia 50 in 4x5 and 8x10. It is available on the Japanese market, in these sizes, and there are a couple of people on the Large Format Photography Forum that do group buys. I "went in" on one for the 4x5 version; it's a great film for landscapes.
ben_hutcherson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on Velvia 50. I bought a box of 100 from Freestyle as well as two expired boxes of 50 on Ebay(test exposure shown).

I'll watch for the group buys-I'm definitely in for some. Although I've shot a fair bit of 100 in medium format(looking through my binders, I was actually quite surprised at just how much I've shot over the years), it still lacks the "pop" that I love in 50.

I know that it's the cost of doing business in 4x5, but I'm still reeling a bit at sticker shock on that box of in-date Velvia.

BTW, I also ordered a 1 qt. Arista E6 kit. I'm waiting until I have enough E6 to at least use half of it in one sitting(or spread over a couple of days given my typical dark room endurance) and 4x5 very likely won't be the first thing I develop in it! I'm looking forward to playing with that, though, as E6 processing is rising in cost and there is quite literally not a pro lab in a 300 mile radius of me that does sheet film on site.
Magnus919

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Fomapan, relabeled for Freestyle.

I keep it around for lower cost shots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: