Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixing the Flash F-X Sync on Graflex Wollensak shutter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Fixing the Flash F-X Sync on Graflex Wollensak shutter Reply with quote

Hi

I have some questions about fixing the F-X setting on my Anniversary Speed Graphic that is fitted with the Optar 135mm lens in the Wollensak shutter.

I have actually fixed it, but I still have some questions as I am not sure my repair will remain stable.

Found a great reference photo here of the shutter.

Which turned out to be very handy when I dropped that spring that is sitting up near the lever that holds the shutter open for focal plane work.

Anyway my main issue is that Contact Assembly A and Contact Assembly B as per page 18 of the Graflex Shutter Repair manual are not aligned.

Contact Assembly B - the one running from the post closest to the Off position has some sort of material behind it - I presume it is an insulator to stop the contact touching the body of the camera and this slips down under the contact holding it up higher than it should presumably sit.

Contact Assembly A which is the one with the little bit of plastic in it, is just catching Assembly B - it wasn't when I first opened up the lens but it is for the time being now.

So what should I do with this troublesome insulating material?

a) Somehow glue it to the back of Contact Assembly B? If so with what?
b) Throw it out, lie Contact Assembly B on some electrical tape and cut out a perfect slice that will stick to the back of Contact Assembly B - but will that be too thick and require me to readjust the bend in Contact Assembly A?
c) Other ideas?
d) What is the correct gap setting the two contacts should maintain in the F-X setting ?
e) And finally if I had to adjust the gap between the contacts - what is the best place along Contact Assembly A to make the "bend"?

Thanks everyone in advance
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at pictures of shutters that I have serviced and the manual there is no insulator between contact B and the case. Its been a few years since I've been into one. If an insulating piece is there it can be glued with contact cement. Rubber swells with age, what once fit correctly may now be too thick. There is also a piece of rubber that glues to the outside edge of the case where the main lever assembly would contact the case on the left side. I assume its for sound dampening and it is not shown in the manual.

The contacts should look like the manual diagrams. Any reforming should be done at the contact screw plate or at the contact end of A.
As far as the gap is concerned its correct when the contacts make on F-X when the shutter is 5 milliseconds from full open to full open, the flash contacts make upon pressing the shutter release lever but the shutter blades do not open for 15 to 17 milliseconds on M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: