Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brooks-Veriwide Graflex lens mounting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmccl@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Brooks-Veriwide Graflex lens mounting Reply with quote

A family friend who knew of my interest of old film cameras gave me a Brooks-Veriwide Schneider-Kruzenach 47mm mounted in a Graflex Synchro Compur shutter and on a Graflex mounting board. The film transport mechanism is marked Brooks xL BACK and it shows "Licensed by Graflex" and "Made in Japan". Everything seems to work about the camera, but there is a weird characteristic. The lens turns freely in the mounting. I have to hold the barrel steady to set the shutter or the aperture, otherwise the barrel just rotates without stopping. Is this a characteristic of this model? Anybody have any suggestions what I might open up to see why this is happening? Better yet, can anyone suggest a technician that I could send the lens assembly to for repairs. Aperture seems to adjust properly, shutter speeds sound accurate, the focus ring moves smoothly.

Thanks for your advice.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the back side of the lens board. There is a retainer ring that holds the lens/shutter to the board, its likely loose.
Position the shutter oriented (clocked) where you want the controls, turn the shutter 45° counter clockwise from that position, tighten the retaining ring tight then while preventing the retaining ring from turning turn the shutter back to the desired position.
jmccl@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Not a lens board Reply with quote

I shouldn't have called it a lens board. It is a Graflex XL body. I can see (on the inside of the body) the lens move in and out when turning the focus ring. There must be a loose or missing retainer between the barrel and the focus hellicoil. I really think I need an experienced technician to solve this.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guidebook http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_2.html shows the 47mm Super Angulon and 58mm Grandagon to both be in Synchro Compur 00 shutters. I do not have a manual that shows the assembly of the shutter in the Graflex XL mount. The shutter either screws into the XL mount or there is a retaining ring holding it in the XL adapter.

With the lens off the body look into the rear, you may be able to see the ring.
Pull outward on the lens while turning it clockwise, it might tighten up.
EDIT
Looking at http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/rep/Compur-shutter-repair-manual.html
The manual lists CS-1110-628 as the special shutter and CN-1110-000 as the base shutter.
CS-1110-628 is not shown in the manual, CN-1110-000 is a work horse shutter used in many applications.
Looking at a lot of the special shutters that are listed many are attached by set screws. Check the outer shell of the lens for loose set screws or threaded holes with nothing in them. If set screws are used then with the shutter in proper position tighten them equally. There should be 3 or 4 set screws if they are used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: