Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown Graphic Noob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albaker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Crown Graphic Noob Reply with quote

Thanks for the add. I picked up a Crown Graphic from eBay with flash and film holders as I always wanted to try large format photography. My friend's father had a military Graflex when I was a wee youngster. I've wanted one ever since. Now I have it and learning about it. I have one problem with it which I will explain below. Searching the Intertubes lead me to you all. I found a veritable wealth of info here but am still flummoxed.

Now for the problem. I have a light leak on the lower right corner of the picture. This happens no matter what film holder is on the back of the camera.So I put my Polaroid back on and shot one picture outside. It's underexposed but, it shows the problem. I've researched your forum and have found numerous posts related to this. I've done the old checking for bellows leaks loose Graflok back, etc. The body is solid and not warped. Screws and springs are all tight. The camera otherwise, works beautifully.

Here's a link to the pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao05smgJxtauniSNimAfAzpipTct
loujon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: flashlight test Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the club!

1st you may want to double check your image link because when I tried to link it comes up as a white page.

(I apologies as I just reread your post and you say the camera is sound but the flashlight test really does any possible issues so still worth a try.)

Two I'll wager you either have a leak in your bellows but but more likely its from the back Graphic/Graflok not sure which you have so you may want to also add photos of your Crown.
May I suggest you do a flash light test. set camera up & put a small flashlight inside camera and sit in dark room while studying the camera see if can see any light then examine that spot on your Crown. Make sure once you put the flashlight inside the body be sure you have the lens on w/ the shutter closed and a holder in the spring back.
That should at the least expose any light leaks then once found you can look for solutions to make fix.
albaker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Link problem Reply with quote

Copy and paste the whole line to see the pics. It looks like the editor didn't take the whole line.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see the linked photos in albaker's post highlight the entire text line then open in a new tab (windows).
Have you seen http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html ?

1. Open the camera and lock the bed at 90°.
2. fold the infinity stops down, slide the front standard out to the end of the rails (yoke) and lock.
3. extend the rails forward with the focus knob to their limit and set the focus lock.
4. remove the lens board.
5. lock a film holder in the back with the graflok sliders, leave the darkslide in.
6. In total darkness put a bright light inside the bellows through the lens board opening and observe the outside of the camera.
A small table lamp with a CFL or LED bulb will work well. Be careful not to touch the bellows with the light bulb as it may burn the bellows.
7. reinstall the lens board, remove the film holder, and put the light inside the camera from the rear and observe the lens board.

A hole will be white, a weak spot will be dim yellow to pale white.

The light leak you have is either the bellows are not seated properly at the camera back, the back is not properly attached to the body, or the film holder is not seating the the back properly. The light trap grove appears to be free of debris as do the corners of the film holder seat which is the usual cause of leaks at the film holder.

Do you have the focus panel for the back?

Factory service manual: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf
albaker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Focus panel. I just don't have it on the camera here. I just took off the polaroid back.
albaker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the camera repair manual you posted. I did the light check and no leaks in the bellows so I'm going to check the back of the camera. I'll let you know what I find. I'm a determined bugger!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: