Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Graphic distance indicator repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
argusmike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Super Graphic distance indicator repair Reply with quote

Experts,

I recently bought a pretty nice Super Graphic. The only issue it seems to have is that the distance indicator does not go all the way to infinity. When the lens is racked all the way back, the rangefinder and the infinity focus on the ground glass are good, but the indicator says 25'.

I downloaded the repair manual from Graflex.org (thank you!) and it says that for this condition that the indicator needle has to be replaced and "if the indicator has been removed it cannot be used again." If you happen to have a new indicator it says to push it in place with the lens at infinity and "apply a small amount of M373 Bond Master adhesive."

Link to relevant paragraphs of the manual:
http://www.pool2012.net/graflex/super%20graphic%20indicator%20inst.pdf

Anybody have any experience with this issue?

Thanks,
Mike Reitsma
SF Bay Area, California
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since the Super Graphic has not been made for 43 years and replacement parts have not been available for close to the same time you can disregard the statement about reusing the indicator.
The manual also says to send the rangefinder to a service center for repair, good luck finding one of them.

Verify correct installation of the rangefinder in the body, the actuating tube, the bed actuator, and the cam installation. The tube can be moved front to rear about 1/4 inch. The original bed actuator was attached with one screw and will pivot on that screw regardless of how tight you tighten it. The later actuator version has two screws. Adjusting the actuator and tube if necessary should get the indicator to point to infinity unless the indicator is loose on the pinion shaft.

Now familiarize yourself with
https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4647 How to Calibrate the Rangefinder
and
https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4653 How to make a cam
argusmike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks 45PSS! Reply with quote

I was able to get it very close with the bed actuator. I could not get the tube to move very much. The pointer remained about 1/16th inch off, so "throwing caution to the wind" I removed the pointer (seemed no worse for wear) and put it back with a small drop of slow setting super glue. Now I'm on to re-check the RF. Thanks very much for your help on this. Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: