Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Cell Graflite Flash no-go

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steved55

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Three Cell Graflite Flash no-go Reply with quote

Hello all,

I loaded the flash with three new D Cell batteries. They were making proper connection as the front light works when I switch it on. Very brightly too.

So I loaded a new #5 bulb and connected to my lens shutter PC connection. My cable is is a good quality Paramount PC to House-hold plug. I connected the ends to the shutter PC and the flash unit's House-hold outlet.

Nothing when I trip the shutter. I know the shutter works properly as I've hooked my Vivitar to the same PC connection.

Anyway, any suggestions? Is this an acceptable way to connect the flash to the PC connection? I've read the house-hold connection is for additional light connections, but I really am not sure about how it works.

Should I just get a PC to the round two prong plug and hook to one of the three outlets?

thanks very much for any suggestions.

Steve
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in this section are the instructions for the Grafllex flash, they are a part of a post by another member. I don't remember the exact post.
The shutter sync socket is one of the round Bi Post ones and the other round one is for the solenoid. When you press the red button the solenoid socket will read the battery voltage of the synchronizer (Graflex flash).
steved55

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean I need two cords? One for the shutter synch socket and another for the solenoid?

I was hoping to avoid using the solenoid as the shutter has an 'M' setting. Don't really understand the need for the solenoid if there is an M setting.

S
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does that mean I need two cords? One for the shutter synch socket and another for the solenoid?

No you only need one cord, for the shutter.
steved55

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, can't make sense of this situation.

Here's a couple of pics of the Graflite flash and a pic of the sync cord.

I tried the cord, new in pkg, by connecting the household end to the flash and the other end to the sync end on my lens.

New batteries. Nothing when connected and the lens is tripped.

Flash operates when the red button on back is pressed. But the red button, of course, doesn't trip the shutter.

What am I missing?

PC on shutter works as it fires the electric strobe.

Any help? Ready to offer on Ebay as a light saber.

I have pics, but don't see an 'advanced' option to post pics. Is it possible?

Steve[/img]
steved55

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently cannot upload pics.

Here's a link to what the Graflite looks like. go to bottom of page:

http://www.paramountcords.com/about/graflex-page/
steved55

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Somewhere in this section are the instructions for the Grafllex flash, they are a part of a post by another member. I don't remember the exact post.
The shutter sync socket is one of the round Bi Post ones and the other round one is for the solenoid. When you press the red button the solenoid socket will read the battery voltage of the synchronizer (Graflex flash).

Hi 45PSS, thanks for bearing with me. As I read your post, the shutter synch socket is one of the round bi-post sockets and it is possible to hook up the flash directly from the bi-post socket to the PC? I thought the Household plug outlet to the PC would work, but it didn't. I guess I'll have to get another cord, the PC to bi-post. If yes, you don't have to reply, just nod.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture of the synchronizer at the bottom of the Paramount Cord page is a Graflex synchronizer. You will need a cord with a round bi post to PC connector to connect to your shutter. The Graflex Synchronizer was made from the 1930's through the 1940's. The Graflite Synchronizer replaced it and was made from the late 1940's to the 1960's. (dates are a semi educated guess)

You have a Graflex Flash Synchronizer, the one the movie buffs cut up to make their toy with.
steved55

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I'm getting close.

It is tough interpreting 1930s lingo.

Actually, my flash is not the Graflex Flash Sychronizer. It is the Graflex Flashing Unit.

I looked at the Instruction Manual for the Graflex Flash Synchronizer and the Graflex Flashing Unit.

The Graflex Flash Synchronizer is designed to be used with a solenoid attached to the shutter. It was connected by way of a bi-post plug end on either of the front two bi-post plugs on the battery case and the cord was connected to the solenoid by way of a two prong plug.

Now, I have a shutter with the built in synchronization (X&M). Consequently, Graflex knew I wouldn't need the solenoid. They designed the unit to be used without the solenoid and connections. They hid the 'secret handshake' bi-post connector under the red hot button. If the shutter has the built in synchronization circuit, one takes a cable with the bi-post plug and connects it to that outlet under the red button and connects the PC end of the cable to the shutter PC connector.

The Unit so descibed is properly called the Graflex Flashing Unit. It had model desinations of 25FA, 35FA, 27FA or 37FA indicating:
**first digit number of cells -- 2 or 3;
**second digit size of reflector -- 5 or 7 inch;
**F indicating it was a flashing unit not incorporating a solenoid; and
**A indicating it used an A17 or A20 cord connecting the rear bi-post connector to the shutter.

Not really sure if this is 100% yet as I don't have the proper cord.

Anyone else actually use such a Graflex Flashing Unit or the Graflex Flash Synchronizer?

steve

Last edited by steved55 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
steved55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in the Manual, here it is:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/graflex_flash_synchronizer.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: