Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacemaker Speed Graphic 23 Focal Plane Shutter Speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aoresteen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Pacemaker Speed Graphic 23 Focal Plane Shutter Speeds Reply with quote

What are the FOCAL PLANE shutter speed ranges for the Pacemaker Speed Graphic 23?

Seems a simple question but not so easy to find.

I'm thinking about getting a few barrel lenses to use on a 2x3 Graphic but I need to know what shutter speeds the focal plane shutter has.

Thanks!

WWW.oresteen.com
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_5.html
they are 30 120 500 for low tension setting and 60 250 1000 for high tension setting. (Introductory version.)

According to http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html
they are 30 125 500 for low tension setting, 50 250 1000 for high tension setting. (Later version.)
aoresteen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I will need slow speeds like 1 sec, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8. Why weren't slow speeds available?

WWW.oresteen.com
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Miniature Speed Graphic http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/miniature-speed-graphic.html will have 6 tension settings and 4 aperture widths like Anniversary speeds. Finding one with an accurate shutter will be next to impossible. The slowest marked speed is 1/10. Serviced FPS of the era usually run 4 speeds at all tensions due to the main tensioning spring loosing its strength. The other occurrence is 50% to 60% of the speeds become good again with the slowest speed obtainable 1/30 at any tension setting.

The FPS is a single length of thin rubber coated cloth with 3 or 4 aperture slots + O with a spring inside the lower roller that is tensioned to close the curtain from O on the lowest tension setting with the camera in any position.

I would say the slow speeds you're after weren't available due to design restrictions.
kentop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoresteen wrote:
Thanks!

I will need slow speeds like 1 sec, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8. Why weren't slow speeds available?

The point of focal plane shutters is to provide fast speeds. The fastest shutters in any era are focal plane shutters. Nikon makes one that is 1/8000! That's fast. For slow speeds, you leave the FPS on "open" and use the shutter built into the lens. If you only have barrel lenses (lenses without shutters) then you need to look on eBay for lenses. They typically go from 50 bucks on up. If you type in graflex optar or kodak ektar you will see them mounted on lens boards to fit your baby graflex.
aoresteen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kentop wrote:
aoresteen wrote:
Thanks!

The point of focal plane shutters is to provide fast speeds. The fastest shutters in any era are focal plane shutters. Nikon makes one that is 1/8000! That's fast. For slow speeds, you leave the FPS on "open" and use the shutter built into the lens. If you only have barrel lenses (lenses without shutters) then you need to look on eBay for lenses. They typically go from 50 bucks on up. If you type in graflex optar or kodak ektar you will see them mounted on lens boards to fit your baby graflex.

I understand all that. But with barrel lenses there is no leaf shutter to use the slow speeds. Thus the need for slow speeds with the focal plane shutter.

I like focal plane shutters. My primary Hasselblad 6x6 is a 2000FC/M camera that has a focal plane shutter with slow speeds. I guess I'm spoiled

WWW.oresteen.com
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, its time to learn about hanging lenses in barrel in front of a shutter and hanging a shutter in front of a barrel lens.

You can read about how I've done it at http://www.galerie-photo.com/telechargement/dan-fromm-6x9-lenses-v2-2011-03-29.pdf
aoresteen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
Tony, its time to learn about hanging lenses in barrel in front of a shutter and hanging a shutter in front of a barrel lens.

You can read about how I've done it at http://www.galerie-photo.com/telechargement/dan-fromm-6x9-lenses-v2-2011-03-29.pdf

You are probably right Dan. Back in the day when I used a 5x7 view, there was plenty of room on the lensboard for a Packard shutter.

The 2x3 Graphics don't have a lot of room. I'll check out your document (again!) and take a stab at it.

Thanks!

WWW.oresteen.com
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Graflex/Graphic FPS can do speeds of 1 second or slower by setting the shutter to T and tension to high for fastest curtain response.
Trip shutter and start timing at the same moment, press shutter release a second time at the end of the time desired. 1 second may take some practice to get correct. Neutral density filters can be used to reduce slower shutter speeds to longer exposure times for convince.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: