Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacemaker speed graphic focal plane shutter dimensions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, should the rubberized side face towards the front of the camera or towards the back?

Being that material has a light colored backing cloth I would put it toward the lens. Graflex has done both rubberized side toward the lens and towards the film. You can dye the cloth in Rit Dye but it only turns deeper burgundy with black dye. Navy blue dye might work better. The piece I sent you has been in black dye for about an hour. The end tabs of the aperture stays that fold over should face the film not the lens.
kentop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Graflex has done both rubberized side toward the lens and towards the film. The end tabs of the aperture stays that fold over should face the film not the lens.

I kind of figured out that the aperture stays face towards the back to install when I took the one stay off the original shutter remnant. I was leaning towards having the dark side towards the back because I think that the cloth side is smoother and has less friction than the rubberized side (but I was worried about it fraying). The insides of the Pacemaker lens bellows is very good for trapping extra light reflected back to the film, so I don't think that the lighter color being towards the lens would be an issue. What do you think?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think the lighter side toward the lens will cause any problems. Make sure the guide rollers at the edge of the film opening turn freely.

I used the same material for a curtain for a 5x7 Home Portrait. Once made it sat in the black dye for several days with turning so each side got equal exposure to the dye and it only turned dark burgundy.

When buying the material it comes in 54 inch wide so you have to buy 2+ yards to get long enough for a shutter curtain resulting in a cost of $200+ and excess material. It might have an occasional pin hole but I have yet to see any.
kentop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
I used the same material for a curtain for a 5x7 Home Portrait.

Have you noticed any stretching of the new curtain material after use? You talked about "setting" the curtain at the strongest tension 5 or 6 times before deciding where the aperture lines go.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO.
The Home portrait is back home in the suburbs of Beijing.
kentop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that the annoyance of Christmas and New Years is out of the way, I can return to working on the shutter. Heres a bunch of pics.

https://speedgraphic.shutterfly.com/pictures#:albumId=17

What I found out was that gluing the curtain to the spool seven inches away from the first and last slot is not enough. I added an extra inch to the length where I glued it. Secondly, I added 4 inches length to the total length, meaning that there is 12 inches of material from the first aperture to the end of the cloth and the same goes for the last aperture. The first time I loaded the test curtain in the Pacemaker, the 1/1000 aperture would not go far enough to cock the shutter. Moving the glue 1" farther made all the difference. Getting everything aligned according to the drawing worked except for the open shutter. I had to add an extra 3/4" to the distance from the 1 1/2 aperture in order to center it over the rollers. The Pacemaker drawing I originally posted has been taken down and I replaced it to reflect the new dimensions. Next up, the aperture stays. Actually, they are more like battens instead of stays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: