Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2x3 Graflok Focusing GG
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aoresteen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 2x3 Graphic Graphlok focusing screen unit with the pop-up viewfinder. I tried to use it on my Cambo 23SF so I can use sheet film.

To my dismay, it won't lock in on my Cambo 23SF so I still can not use sheet film. All my Graflok 2x3 roll holders lock into place but the focusing unit does not.

When used with a 2x3 Speed Graphic, what hold the focusing unit in place and alows it to spring back when inserting a sheet film holder?

Thanks!

Tony
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack

aoresteen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that but it's not clear (at least to me) how the ground glass unit is held in place.

Thanks!

WWW.oresteen.com
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming your Graphic Graflok frame is like the one on my Century Graphic 2x3. The folding-hood focusing frame has two chrome-plated, spring-loaded arms top-and-bottom, the ends of which arms engage hooks on the camera back, thus drawing the frame tight up against the back. I'm not familiar with the Cambo, but if it lacks these hooks then you may be out of luck. The locking slides alone will not hold the frame on; in fact, I never bother to use the slides at all, since they just get in the way of removing the frame when I use the roll holder. With cut-film holders, the spring-loaded arms allow the frame to pivot away from the camera back, opening on the right side (i.e., the hinge is on the left) so you can slip the film holder in and out, and the springs keep the film holder snugly in place.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2005-03-06 11:53 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the spring arms on the graflok back there is a open hook on the end; placing the back slightly to the right of center, press down on the spring arms and push the focus panel to the left until centered on the back and release the arms; open hooks on the spring arm should now be enguaged on the hold pins and the focus panel will now act like a spring back to some degree.
Now the question is: Is the shape and spacing of the Graphic graflok close enough to mate with the Cambo? Maybe not.
All compatiable with Graflok back means is that the accessory will fit between the edges of the frame and lock into place with the sliding lock bars and, if the light seals are good, be light tight.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-03-06 20:37 ]
aoresteen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

The Cambo does not have the pins to the Graflok GG back in place.

I've decided that the easiest way to use sheet film with the Cambo 23SF is to modify a 23SF back to use the Graphic 2x3 spring back (not Graflok). I have the spring back and am trying to loacte a spare 23SFD back.

WWW.oresteen.com
aoresteen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is way old but I'm posting this to complete the thread.

I bought a parts Crown 23 and took the springback off it. I bought a replacement Cambo23SF back and sent them to SK Grimes who put them together. Now I can use sheet film in my Cambo with the help of an old Graphic 23 camera!

It works very well. For vertical shots the back can be positioned vertically.

WWW.oresteen.com
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, Cambo's 2x3 International backs aren't fully Graflok compatible. With them the ground glass frame and roll holders slide in. They don't have a spring back (the two levers with coil springs on a 2x3 Graflok focusing panel).

If you want to use sheet film holders or insertion type roll holders with a 2x3 Cambo you'll need a 2x3 Cambo bail back. The bail back is incompatible with Graflok accessories including Graflex' focusing panel.

I have a couple of 2x3 Cambo SCs, may have a spare bail back. If you want me to look for it, let me know.

Cheers,

Dan
aoresteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
Tony, Cambo's 2x3 International backs aren't fully Graflok compatible. With them the ground glass frame and roll holders slide in. They don't have a spring back (the two levers with coil springs on a 2x3 Graflok focusing panel).

If you want to use sheet film holders or insertion type roll holders with a 2x3 Cambo you'll need a 2x3 Cambo bail back. The bail back is incompatible with Graflok accessories including Graflex' focusing panel.

I have a couple of 2x3 Cambo SCs, may have a spare bail back. If you want me to look for it, let me know.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan. My Horseman backs fit the Cambo back fine and so does the Cambo focusing snoot. So I'm set.

The SK Grimes modded back is just for sheet film nothing else.

WWW.oresteen.com
RSalles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gens,

Excuse me to jump into the thread with a help call, but, where can I find a ground glass for my newly acquired Miniature SG with a spring back? There are some available at the ebid site, but as it's marked as 6x9, I suspect it doesn't fit,

Cheers,

Renato
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many/some of the ebay sellers of ground glass will cut to size, check their listings.

To find out what size you need remove the ground glass/side curtain retainer strips on each side of the ground glass/opening. If you have an existing gg measure it, if it is missing measure the inside of the frame where the gg sits. The one I have has clipped corners. I am not going to disassemble it and measure it.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't confuse the nominal format with the size of the GG.

The nominal film format 6x9 is the same size as nominal 2.25" x 3.25", often called 2x3.
RSalles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

The 120 film doesn't fit even the negative carrier of a 2.1/4X3.1/4 sheet film, both film sizes being different, thinking probably the GG of one format will not fit the other one.
Probably the better option would be to measure the GG of the camera, and ask for a custom size cut. The other day I saw a Yankke GG + fresnel at "thebay" costing close of what I paid for the camera

Have to search more,

Cheers,

Renato
RSalles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed this morning and took the measures of the GG of my Mini Speed Graphic and it's 82.5X57mm,

Thanks,

Renato
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you have it out wash it in warm water and dish detergent rubbing gently with your finger tips only, rinse, then rinse in a weak photoflo solution and air dry.
You may find it brighter and may not need replacment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: