Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

47mm Super angulon f8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OlderGuy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: 47mm Super angulon f8 Reply with quote

I have a Century Graphic and I want to be able to use a 47mm Super Angulon f8.

I have already taken a roll with a 6x7 back and the results were weird. The sides of the image were rounded and cut off quite a bit.

I am wondering if anybody could give me a little instruction on using this lens on a Century.

Steven Law
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this site, Dan Fromm is "the man" on lenses, so I'll defer to him in advance. Meanwhile, it would seem that your 47 mm doesn't have the coverage you need for the format, resulting in the vignetting at the corners. It might work better in square format, 6x6 (a/k/a 2x2), or you can compensate with the 6x7 by masking off the corners in the print. This is very easy to do if you scan the negative into Photoshop and crop. Of course, this assumes that you have a digital darkroom set-up on your computer. In the traditional darkroom, you can mask off the corners of the print in your enlarging easel. To make sure you are getting all the desired image content in your negative, you can make little "hash marks" on the ground glass to indicate the coverage, so you are in effect cropping in the camera. HTH.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is off. According to https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/data/8-47mm.html the lens should cover 65mm X 90mm (2.55 inch x 3.5inch) and has an image circle of 113mm (4.48inch), focused at infinity at f16 which will allow for some movements.

Do you have the front and rear groups reversed? Have you or someone else disassembled the lens groups for cleaning and possibly put them back together wrong?
Other???

This diagram although for the f5.6 version should help in determining if the groups are assembled correctly.
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Zeiss_cute_DFR_DDR_lenses/17.gif
OlderGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Something else. Reply with quote

When I looked at the negative strip a little earlier tonight, I noticed an image that was perfect. At first I thought that I had changed my lens, but because I am a novice, I noticed that I hadn't dropped the bed. So I know for a fact that there is complete coverage. I just don't know how I took the last photo to make it work.

So, there is always tomorrow. I too looked at Schneiders data on this lens and it should have worked as advertised. Also, it should cover 6x9 according to Schneider. (Vintage Data sheet.)

Anyway Midsomer Murders is about to start on PBS, so I gotta go.
Thanks for your reply.
Steven
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you using a lens hood or filters?
OlderGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I wasn't using filters or a lens hood. I have been playing with the hardware all evening and I think I might have a clue but don't quote me on that.

I am going to try to get out tomorrow and see what I can do.

One thing I am wondering, is there anything like a recessed lens board for the century? Might give me more movements. I haven't seen one or heard of one, I am just speculating.

Steven
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47 mm Super Angulons absolutely positively cover 2x3. Your f/8er shouldn't vignette on 6x7. I'm not sure what the problem might be, would have to see the lens.

Re movements. The only movement a Century allows with a lens that makes infinity with the front standard between the bed struts or in the body is front rise. With lenses that make infinity inside the box, the wire frame finder limits how much rise can be used. If you want more rise when the standard is inside the box, dismantle the front standard and remove the wire frame finder.

There are no recessed board for Graphics, including the Century.

Charles, the metric format "6x9" roll film format is 2.25" x 3.25" in inches. The line you read 65 x 90 from in the Schneider documentation contains a bad typo, also contains 2.25" x 3.25". 6.5x9 is a metric sheet film format.
OlderGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks all. I am going to give it a go later today.
Steven
1banjo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As minty have found using any thing even 80mm & smaller
Can be a challenge on a Century in focusing and movement
As to using my 47mm I got a Graflex LXSW its easier to focus
But it has no Lens movement
For my LXSW I modified A Lens barrel to also use a 65 mm
Anglon lens on it to
But you get better images at the smaller f-stops (like f22)
At the large f-stops can give you more distortion. As The
image circle is smaller at large f-stop openings
1banjo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As minty have found using any thing even 80mm & smaller
Can be a challenge on a Century in focusing and movement
As to using my 47mm I got a Graflex LXSW its easier to focus
But it has no Lens movement
For my LXSW I modified A Lens barrel to also use a 65 mm
Anglon lens on it to
But you get better images at the smaller f-stops (like f22)
At the large f-stops can give you more distortion. As The
image circle is smaller at large f-stop openings
1banjo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the double posting my iPhone is acting up I just threw it on the floor it seems to work better I don't know why!!!
I was just looking at super angle on 47 mm lens b I was just looking at super angle on 47 mm lens data they do thing funny! Like on the 5.6 super Anglon 47 mm they give image circle diameter at F 22 now on the F8 super Anglon 47 mm is given at f 16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: