Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pentac / dallmeyer / air ministry 8" cleaning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chalky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Pentac / dallmeyer / air ministry 8" cleaning Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have searched here and google but haven't found anything, but if this is a duplicate please let me know.

I have an 8" f2.9 aerial lens, made I think by air ministry, it was cheap ish but there is some haze between the front elements. I can remove all the front elements from the barrel but have no idea how to separate them to clean the inside.

I know these are of varying quality, and the lens works, with nice highlight blur etc but it is slightly soft and I am wondering if this is just one of the poorer lenses or the haze is impacting?

Any thoughts or does anyone know how to take this lens apart?

Many thanks,
Matt
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get a better answer if you ask on http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

Here's a lousy answer. I've taken a few Dallmeyer lenses apart. They just unscrewed. I've never tried to unscrew a Pentac so have no idea of how they went together.

The Pentac has five elements in three groups. The outer groups are cemented doublets, the inner group is a singlet. If you've removed the outer groups from the barrel you've done all that's possible without uncementing the doublets.

The Air Ministry was the customer, bought the lens, didn't make it.
chalky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan - thanks for the response and also for clearing up about the manufacturer... I have no idea if pentac or dallmeyer made mine but will research further and see what I come up with and if it makes a difference.

I've posted over on the other site and will report back if I get a useful response.

I have managed to unscrew the front and rear sets from the barrel, so it sounds like I am out of luck. There is a small grub screw but removing it doesn't seem to do much.

cheers

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: