Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So the rangefinder doesn't work...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LelandRay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with a broken rangefinder, then let me get my big old gorilla fingers in there, and it's a foregone conclusion the rangefinder's going to be useless. I guess I'll sell the Crown body or use it as a lightweight view camera. (Gorgeous body, and I might even call it mint in a moment of indiscretion.)

Anyway, I now have the proper rangefinder cam for a 132mm lens, though I don't have a 132, I have a 135. I also have a couple of extra infinity stops lying around now. So I was thinking maybe I'd set up my Pacemaker Speed for a second lens. It has a 127 Ektar now, but it would be really cool to have access to the 135 Rodenstock as well. What I'm wondering is, how much trouble is it to set up the lens after the cam is installed? I know how to do that part, and the Speed's rangefinder works just fine, so I'd have a bit more flexibility. Nah, that Rodenstock is just purty...

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the cam in for the lens and focus the rangefinder on something at least a 1/4 mile away (Roger Adams of WD Service fame, says a full moon is a very good infinity target). Lock the track.

Now put the lens in the front standard and with a good loupe on the ground glass get the lens to focus on the same target by moving, nudging, bumping the front standard.

Lock it down.

At this point the rangefinder and the lens are coincident. If we didn't have to move the front standard, we could leave the camera this way and it would work. But we like to close the camera so we need some sort of reference to get the front standard back exactly in the same place.

Bring the infinity stops up to the standard and tighten them down.

Done.

If you've got the right focus scale you could now put that on. But except for a flash guide calculator*, I find the scales useless.

* When using flash bulbs you go by the guide number method. guide number (taken from the box of flash bulbs) / distance = fstop

With a calculator, I figure out the fstops for the distances on the focus scale, then tape over the numbers and replace them with fstops.

now I focus, check the scale and adjust the fstop, No more mental math for this midget!

LelandRay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Put the cam in for the lens and focus the rangefinder on something at least a 1/4 mile away (Roger Adams of WD Service fame, says a full moon is a very good infinity target). Lock the track.

Now put the lens in the front standard and with a good loupe on the ground glass get the lens to focus on the same target by moving, nudging, bumping the front standard.

Lock it down."

Dat's how I thought it was supposed to work. I think even I can handle those instructions. Thanks much, Les.

I think the Crown is going to become a portrait camera. I attached a half frame splitter back to it, which in effect gives me about 3/4" of extra bellows draw. If I add my 210mm Nikkor I have a pretty neat rig.

old-man-tea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just say, right now, that I'm new to the Graflex cameras, new to large format photography and new to this forum. I do have some photographic experience. The questions below pertain to my new 4x5 pacemaker speed graphic w/135mm optar.

I've adjusted the RF to infinity, locked the focusing rail, Moved the front standard to focus to infinity, locked that as well as the infinity stops. ( My camera came with 2 pairs of stops. is this normal?)

When I then focus to 10', the RF is not really on. The focusing bar indicator is not even close.

The questions are:
1) Is the RF off or was it calibrated for another lens? How reliable are these Kalrat RF over the range of focus?

2) When the RF is correctly calibrated for one lens, what needs to happen when you change to a different focal length lens?

3) Assuming I have the right distance scale, should I set that when the front standard is set to infinity? I did that but my 10' focusing on ground glass did not work out on the scales. How reliable are the scales?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the previous post was for a Top Rangefinder not a Kalart. The Top Rangefinder used cams so that in theory, you could change cams and be set up for a new lens.

The Kalart on the other hand can be adjust for most lenses, but can't be quick-changed between lenses.

It does sound like your finder is set up for anther lens. Elsewhere on this site you can find instructions on how to adjust your finder to fit your lens.

I've used both finders and when it's adjusted properly I think the Kalart beats out the top rangefinder. The only complaint I have is most of the Kalarts I own have a varying slight lateral shift when focusing. In other words the two images can be right on at infinity but shift slightly side ways at say 10 feet. It's still accurate, just annoying.

As to the scales--- The scales are fairly accurate but the scale must be matched to the lens. For instance a 90mm lens focuses from infinity to say 8 feet in a much smaller distance (moving the front standard) than a 15" tele optar.

There are catalog numbers on the back and somebody else on this board can tellyou what lens that scale is made for.

You are correct in setting the scales at infinity when everything else is there too.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2001-07-22 18:47 ]
LelandRay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I can really answer your questions because A) my own range of expertise isn't the greatest, and B) it's always easier to get an idea about something if you're there on site looking at what might be wrong.

I do know, however, that the following link from the Graflex.Org site is an instruction manual for adjusting the Kalart rangefinder.

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-adjustment.html

I also know that in many cases, the distance scales on these cameras are off anywhere from a little to a lot. My Speed's distance scale is WAY off, but the rangefinder seems to be right on the money.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: