Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

distortion wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tirzah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a speed graphic, i want to find a lens that will create distortion, the coverage can be wrong creating a circle format or anything else.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me a better idea of what effect you want? The term distortion has a specific meaning in the lens world and it describes the defect whereby a lens bends vertical and horizonal lines into either a pincushion or barrel shape.

Barrel shape is easy, find a spirotone fisheye attachment, they should run about $40-50 these thread onto ANY lens and create a 180° fish eye image. whether or not in covers 4x5 depends on the lens you attach it to.

For pincushion, I'd call up edmund scientific to see if some of their cheap lenses would work.

Now for diffused, soft and just plain strange effects you can always get a cokin 4" and some vaseline, guache paint, and smear away.
tirzah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help (les)-this is a great start.I was also told to find a darlot, or petzval lens measuring 6"-9". I will probably have to put this on a standard 4x5 though.Thanks again!
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The petzval design (made by Voigtlaendar, Darlot and others) casts a very large circle of illumination but has a very small circle of good definition. I have a Voigtlaendar made about 1842 and while it can easily fill a 5x7 frame, the area of sharpness is closer to 2x3, so, if used on 4x5, you'd have a sharp nose and eyes and every thing else would go a strange out of focus.
Look at Julia Maragret Cameron's work. She was chastized for using this effect at the time.

tirzah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again for your help. Your Voigtlaedar lens sounds great, and is just what I'm looking for. I am having a lot of trouble finding any of those lenses i mentioned above. I've looked at lens and repro, shutterbug, and some websites. Do you have any suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: