Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rail Lock..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter k

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Rail Lock.. Reply with quote

Rail Lock, I'm not sure if this is the right term.
It's located on the right hand side, in front.
It pivots, clockwise and pushes against the rail to lock the lens, once your focused. Needs something done with it. It's not locking real well.
What can be done?
Thanks for any suggestions.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/AnniversaryService1.pdf
pdf page 6 - focusing pinion tension, aka focus lock.

The screw/stud that the lever is on has 3 start points. Sometimes starting the lever at another point will allow it to increase the tension on the pinion to an acceptable operating level without the lever hitting the rails. The rails must be removed to remove the lever and the lever can be difficult to reinstall.

I do not know what the pads are made of but a good substitute should not be too hard to find.
peter k

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... got it repaired... thank you.

Before disassembling, when I used the focus lock, it would shift the rail towards the other side, thus I thought it was applying a horizontal pressure, to lock the rails.

I was very surprised, when I took it apart, that the pressure was suppose to be applied vertically, as in a pressure squeeze, when the focus lock was used.

Marking the square metal piece, that actually applies the pressure, before taking off the lever, I further discovered that use over the years past, had built up next to the stud some deposits, that had compacted over the years, thus causing it to shift towards the other rail horizontally, and not allowing a full vertical squeeze. So it wouldn't really lock.

Another interesting note, there is no 'pad'. The square can be put in four positions, allowing adjustment as the 'square squeeze plate' wears. In fact someone in the distant past did just that, as one edge shows a lot of wear. Must have constantly adjusted focus with the lock in place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: