Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex 3A Rebuild - help ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisalegria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Graflex 3A Rebuild - help ? Reply with quote

Thanks very much to 45PSS - my neighbor in the SF Penninsula !

This is a great help.
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6131

I am working on a VERY bad 3A

Just started on it but I think I know the way forward on most of its problems. Currently its almost 100% disassembled.

My worst problems now (famous last words) are to make and install a new bellows. I cut the wreck of the old bellows off, but once I have the new one made I need to stick it back on again. It seems its held on the internal bellows frame by a screwed on bracket - with the screws inside the bellows. It would be difficult to say the least to try to screw this bracket back in place with the bellows frame still in the camera. Best to take the frame out and attach the bellows while its outside.

But for the life of me I can't see how to take this thing out of the camera. Its got these sheet metal wings attached to it on the sides, and on the bottom its connected to a metal/felt sheet that is intended as a lightseal (I think).

The front standard bellows attachment is nearly as troublesome. They did not design these things for easy service, unlike the Speed Graphics.

Also, the hood is fine, but I need to remove it to reposition/adjust the groundglass. It seems to be held on by screws holding the hood frame, but these are inside the hood. Inconvenient is putting it mildly. I expect I could unscrew this thing with some work, but putting the hood back on again will be a challenge.

Any suggestions ?
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the disassembly instructions again. I think you are missing something. The view hood retainer is external of the view hood, the internal screws are the ground glass frame screws.

The bellows are held to the front standard via screws accessed from the rear of the bellows. With the bellows extended they should be apparent.

The fuzzy scans of the original design drawings may be of some help also.
http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/index.html >world of graflex>3A or Graflex Cameras> 3A.
http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/Nieuw%20Graflex/links.htm
luisalegria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This camera has already been much modified by an earlier owner (including having the entire back replaced), so I am coming to the conclusion that the last guy probably just glued down the hood. There is no visible hardware, springs or catches or the like, in the "well" around the outside of the hood leather. I have two other Graflexes where its obvious how to remove the hood, and this one has nothing like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: