Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tele Graflex 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Worn Gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisalegria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Tele Graflex 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Worn Gear Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been using a Tele Graflex (@1925?) 3 1/4x4 1/4 fairly successfully for a few months. The shutter curtains are good, and the speeds are fine. However, it recently started behaving oddly - when the shutter was released the gear sometimes seems to skip - I can hear it - , and the slit ends up out of place. And of course when wound up again the curtain and slits are in the wrong place, etc. I can get them all aligned again and it may work correctly a few times, but the problem always repeats.

I am familiar with Graflex/Graphic mechanisms and I have fixed other problems before, but this one has me at a loss.

The small gear at the end of the top shutter shaft looks like its chewed up. More than half the gear on the body end looks like it has been worn or ground down, but the further half looks unused. The large brass gear inside the top shutter escutcheon looks like its in good shape, the teeth are sharp enough, etc. It seems that the large gear is bearing on only part of the small gear and destroying it.

I suspect I need to replace the small gear. I have not fully disassembled this camera, not needing to as it was working fine. What do I need to do to replace the gear, and what gear from what camera would be compatible ? Would I have to replace the whole top shaft ?

Any suggestion as to which models would have a compatible gear/gearshaft ?

Any suggestion would be very welcome.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gearing on the top curtain roller is made onto the roller shaft. I have no clue as to how many models use the same roller.

The curtain needs to be wound onto the lower roller, the tension relieved, and the wind plate removed.
Folding the curtain over at the top roller may allow the roller to slide right far enough to clear the bushing on the left and if not the curtain will have to be removed from the top roller. Use a adhesive remover or lacquer thinner to remove the curtain from the roller. Lacquer thinner will dissolve the rubber coating on the curtain.
luisalegria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again !

So if I understand correctly, the steel shaft with the small gear that runs through the brass roller carrying the top of the shutter curtain can be removed by ungluing the shutter curtain and loosening a couple of set screws on the brass roller ?

Then I should be able to replace the shaft (assuming I can get a replacement shaft) ?

Or perhaps reposition the shaft so the good portion of the gear on the shaft better mates with the large gear ? It would be a matter of 2-3mm.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the steel shaft with the small gear that runs through the brass roller

Both the top and bottom rollers and their shafts are brass, no steel. The gearing on the top shaft is made on the shaft. If the shaft can be removed from the roller then a new one can be made or this one can be modified.
luisalegria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing or at least loosening the shaft from the roller is exactly what I need to do I think.

If the shaft position on the roller can be adjusted I think this could be the fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: