Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone help me identify this accessory please?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spidermara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Can someone help me identify this accessory please? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
First, thanks for any help in advance...
Ok so I'm new to large format, and I bought what I *thought* was a normal 4x5 graflok back for my view camera. Instead I got this weird thing that I'm not quite sure what it is and can't find info online about it.

A fellow photo nerd said he thinks its a 4x5 adapter for a graflex XL (that's why I found this site) because of the pins in the back. But the back doesn't expose a full 4x5 inch instead crops it to a weird size - 3x3.75 inch. I don't want to put it on my view camera because I want the full frame of 4x5 not a crop. Why would anyone want it to crop it down to this?

This is bigger than a medium format so I know its not that but - what is this thing?? Can some smart person ID it for me? I'd be grateful. Pictures below.

Thanks a lot!!

[/img]
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_2.html
Its a Graflok back for the XL camera.
spidermara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding and for the link

Ok cool so this is for the graflex XL, that's good to know.

The images in the manual show a regular medium format focusing panel 2 1/4 by 2 3/4.

This is my focusing panel with a hood (images below) its 4x5 inches, but the back will crop it to 3 x 3.75 inches.
This is why I'm confused, this manual doesn't mention this accessory.
So is this a 4x5 adapter back? I didn't think so because it crops it down to that random size, I would think it would be 4x5 if it was.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
thanks a lot-

45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format size is determined by the film plane opening of the camera, in this case the body attach point opening. All accessories however larger will be reduced to this opening.
An easy way to tell the format is to measure the film opening or the ground glass. The film holder is always larger than the film it supports.

A 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 film holder is 3.109 x 4.671 inches, image area 2.163 x 3.338 inches.
A 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film holder is 4 x 5.565 inches, image area 3.131 x 4.228 inches.
A 4 x 5 film holder is 4.765 x 6.296 inches, image area 3.882 x 5.002 inches.
all measurements ANSI specifications for film holders.

My guess is its a 3x4 graflok back. This would allow 3x4 instant film and holders to be used on the camera.
spidermara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh you are so kind for responding with such detail.
Ahhh I see a 3x4 graflok back, hmm yeah that's probably what it is.
I didn't know there was such a thing! I thought it was just 4x5 or medium format.
I don't own an xl and I'm not sure what to do with this thing, too late to return it.
Guess I'll just sell it on ebay! It helps to know what it is..so thank you again I'm really grateful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: