Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart Rangefinder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckeyefan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Kalart Rangefinder Reply with quote

I have an unopened Kalart A-513-1 Rangefinder assembly.
I found some references to it here: http://graflex.org/manuals/23-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf
I'm just looking for more info. Particularly if it can be used with any Speed Graphic (pacemaker, crown, others).
I haven't even opened it yet since I didn't know if I should. I'm actually slowing selling off all my 4x5 extras, keeping the basics in case I ever get to shoot it again, and thought that if it was more valuable still sealed then I didn't want to open it.
thanks for any help.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That A-513-1 number is the Graflex part number. This denotes Kalart model E6. Here's more info:

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#KalartSide

Also:

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-manual.html

If yours is mint-in-box, it's eminently saleable (sellable?), IMO. I'd not open the box if I were you. OTOH, it could be full of dead spiders for all you would know. So, on second thought, I suppose you ought to take a careful peek if you can do so without damaging the box. Let us know what you find!
buckeyefan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
Thanks for the info. I guess you could say it's new in the bag. lol.
It's in a factory sealed heavy duty poly bag. Wrapped in some paper and then rolled into cardboard. I can see a little of it sticking through some of the packaging paper so I know it's in there. Even includes an Ad for the Focuspot and Focuscope accessories that they packed with it.
btw.. any idea on what someone would pay for this. I hate to sell this kind of stuff, but money has to come from somewhere and it's not doing me any good in a box in the closet.

See the images below:

Henry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm impressed! As to who might want one, I can think of an instance where someone has a Graphic camera not so equipped and wants to add a Kalart. For example, the Century 2x3 was sold both with and without Kalart, but it has locator and mounting holes for it already cast into the Mahoganite (plastic) body, so it would be relatively simple to install one. The tricky part would be the adjustment to match the focus points to the rangefinder positions, as in the one link I posted. This is no trivial task, and involves several steps (and missteps!) to get it accurate, and even then it's only accurate for the particular lens you're using. Change lenses, even to one of the "same" focal length (because none of them are really "the same", even though both may be marked, say, 105 mm), and the Kalart is no longer accurate for the new lens. Once it's properly adjusted, you can shoot handheld using the rangefinder only, since obviously using the ground glass would be impractical. So it's definitely worth having the Kalart if you will be using the camera that way. As to how much it's worth, go to the auction site and enter "Graflex Graphic" and/or "Kalart rangefinder" into the search window, and you'll get some hits. I will say that these don't come up often separately in the wild, in my experience, and I'm a fairly frequent visitor to the 'bay.
buckeyefan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
Thanks so much for your help with this.
I've had several Crown Graphics over the years. However never did anything with the parts or even used the rangefinder. I've always used them more as field camera and used ground glass. I know I'm missing half the experience. I sold my other ones but still have a really nice Crown Graphic Special and my trust Calumet 4x5 rail. I don't think I'll ever part with those.
I've taken it to the 'bay. So if anyone is looking for it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330723565724
thanks again. I wish I would have found this forum when I was more Graflex active.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: