Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polaroid 545 on Crown Graphic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdaniels

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a CRown Graphic and the 545 holder (be kind). I'm not clear on mounting the holder to the camera; does it insert under the ground glas, as a single sheet holder might?
Doing that appears as though it would scratch the GG. On the other hand, when it's removed and the holder inserted it just lies there and falls out when you pick up the camera. There seem to be no way to lock it in place.

Please advise.
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while there is a very slim chance you have a Graflex back and not a Graflok back, let's assume you have a Graflok back.
The Graflok back's ground glass assembly is removed by pushing down and to the right on two chrome horizontal struts.

Once this is done the back can be laid in there and held in place by the two chrome slide locks top and bottom.

You can also slide the holder in with the ground glass in place just like a film holder. The ground glass sits in a frame and can't touch the holder.

tdaniels

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les wrote:
while there is a very slim chance you have a Graflex back and not a Graflok back, let's assume you have a Graflok back.
The Graflok back's ground glass assembly is removed by pushing down and to the right on two chrome horizontal struts.

TD: Yeah, I got that part.

Once this is done the back can be laid in there and held in place by the two chrome slide locks top and bottom.

TD: There's the problem. I can lay the back in there okay, it fits, but the two slide locks you mention seem to be missing. There are a couple of chrome tabs t&b, but they don't engage with the back, though it has slots that would seem to fit them.

You can also slide the holder in with the ground glass in place just like a film holder. The ground glass sits in a frame and can't touch the holder.

TD: That's a relief, because it looks like it's what I'm going to have to do. I got worried because after the first time I tried that I noticed scratches on the gg. Presumably they were there already.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"TD: There's the problem. I can lay the back in there okay, it fits, but the two slide locks you mention seem to be missing. There are a couple of chrome tabs t&b, but they don't engage with the back, though it has slots that would seem to fit them. "

That should be them, why won't they engage? Do they move at all? To engage you should slide them left to right
tdaniels

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After posting my last I went back to the camera and tried what you suggest. Turned out they were a little stiff.Friendly persuasion loosened them up and that problem's solved.

Next dumb question: trying to load film in the back: it slips in fine, but when I try to remove the envelope per instructions the whole business slides out again, failing to leave the negative behind, as I gather it's supposed to do.

I suppose I'mn leaving out some crucial step, but I can't figure out what it is aside from ripping the envelope open before I insert it, which would seem to defeat the purpose.

Thanks for your help so far, and your patience with my fumbles.
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 545 pul the big lever to "L" position and put the film in properly (putting it in backwards makes for a big mess)

As it gets near the bottom you could feel a slight resistance and it should 'pop' down into place, then pulling the dark envelope will expose the film to the interior of the camera.

to process, push the dark envelope back in flip the lever to "P", remove the back from the camera, then pull with a quick steady motion. Count to 50 then peel.

tdaniels

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's missing is the little "pop" you mention. I suppose that's the moment when something is supposed to grab hold of the negative allowing the rest to be removed. The two little metal tabs on the end of the envelope presumably are supposed to engage with some corresponding gribbit inside the back, but seem not to want to engage.

I've seen a poaage on field-stripping the back. Maybe I'll give that a try,

Thanks again.

Or maybe I need to get the piece serviced.
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve has the pictures and the text

http://skgrimes.com/545/index.htm
tdaniels

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the page I'd seen. I tried hammering out the spring on the catch, but so far it hasn't helped.

It's also possible that type 54 film isn't compatible with the back. I'm getting advice on that from a local guy.

Again, thanks for helping.
Les

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used litterally cases of type 54 in my 545 back in the 80's.

It's compatible

In the load mode that metal catch at the end is what holds onto the thin metal barb on the film, you may have to peel the brass clamps off and get in there with a pair of pliers to straighten it out.
Les

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used litterally cases of type 54 in my 545 back in the 80's.

It's compatible

In the load mode that metal catch at the end is what holds onto the thin metal barb on the film, you may have to peel the brass clamps off and get in there with a pair of pliers to straighten it out.
tdaniels

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: