Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello - I think my plunger's too small!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Hello - I think my plunger's too small! Reply with quote

Hello there,

I've just joined here as I got a Crown Graphic a few weeks back. It didn't have a cam fitted but I sourced the correct one and rather excitedly set about fitting per the instructions I've found linked here.

It doesn't look like the plunger is pushing it far enough over towards the spring - Is it possible that my plunger is too small!? Should there be a cap on it? It doesn't look like it's broken but if it were longer then it would push the cam further over I think.

Any advice very gladly appreciated!

Regards, Craig
MonkeyBrain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think my plunger's too small!"

You have my sympathy. I recently received several emails offering a solution to this problem in the form of miraculous growth-tablets.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His toilet's too big.

P.S. Welcome to the board, buzzski. Don't take us too seriously; we sometimes like to have a bit of fun over here in the colonies, the other news is so grim.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refer to:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf
figure 2 index 34 in the service text (page 2).
ASSUMING the infinity adjustment is correct, set the bed fully reward against the stop then forward .040 to .125 inch (1.016mm - 3.175mm).
Loosen the attaching screws on Bracket, figure 2 item 34, and push it rearward until the rangefinder shows correct infinity focus. The manual says to use a target 500 feet away, that is a typo, it should be 5000 feet away.

Once the RF is set loosen the infinity stop set screws. Using the ground glass move the front standard so that the lens is sharply focused on the same target with the front standard locked and squared to the bed. Slide the infinity stops up to the front standard and secure with the set screws.

Alternative: open the shutter on T or press to focus, set the aperture to wide open. Place camera on a tripod and focus on the ground glass a target at least 5000 feet away. Lock the rails. Measure the gap between the rails and the body stop it should be 1/8 inch or less. With the cam in the camera loosen the actuator bracket screws and move the bracket rearward until the rangefinder indicates infinity focus. Lock the actuator bracket in place.

Cams were cut for the lens actual focal length not its marked focal length. Actual focal length can vary .1mm to 5mm either side of the marked focal length.
Close focusing distances will be off if the cam is mis matched.
buzzski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice and warm welcome - is the South Bristol Views site down do you know?
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/
no its up and running. be sure to use www when typing the address or you'll get weird notices when trying the links to manuals and stuff.

I'm running IE8 on XP platform, other systems may be different.
buzzski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ah - works in firefox but not safari - thanks for that. Off to look at the manual now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: