Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for better roll film back...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
majorcities

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I've tried two different roll film holders for my 2x3 Crown with the Graflok back... one was a Singer model with the lever advance, and a 6x6 knob-wind. The first wouldn't stop advancing, and this last one overlaps each frame by a 16th of an inch.

Do ANY of these work well? I've heard the Mamiya RB backs work well. Does anyone know of a good back for these that they might consider parting with? If so, please let me know... name a price and we'll talk! I'm really needing to start shooting 120 with this great camera, and am tired of messing with these plastic backs that are hit-and-miss. Thanks!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-06-14 11:46, majorcities wrote:
Hello! I've tried two different roll film holders for my 2x3 Crown with the Graflok back... one was a Singer model with the lever advance, and a 6x6 knob-wind. The first wouldn't stop advancing, and this last one overlaps each frame by a 16th of an inch.

Do ANY of these work well? I've heard the Mamiya RB backs work well. Does anyone know of a good back for these that they might consider parting with? If so, please let me know... name a price and we'll talk! I'm really needing to start shooting 120 with this great camera, and am tired of messing with these plastic backs that are hit-and-miss. Thanks!

Armato's, in NYC, can service them for you. NB, I haven't dealt with them in a couple of years, they may no longer be there or may no longer work on Graflex equipment.
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try to find some old Adapt-A-Roll 620 film backs for the 2x3 camera they accept 120 film and giv you a 2x3 neg. though you will want the Lab to return the steel 620 take up spool as the 120 spool wont work as a take up spool. I have one of these backs and it works fine.
BobK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried several of the Singer roll film backs, and haven't had good luck with any of them. Like you mentioned, spacing is a problem and film flatness can be not so great either. I went ahead and bought a new Horseman 6x9 back. At about $325 they aren't cheap, but what a difference! I would highly recommend you get one of the horseman backs. The best price I have found is at Badger Graphic Sales (website - http://www.badgergraphic.com/ ). Good luck!
Barking Spiders

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the RH10, and RH20 backs. Film spacing leaves a lot to be desired. As far as film flatness goes, the Singer holders (At least mine) are a little soft around the edges, especially if the film has been in the holder for a while. The RB back that I have feels more solid.

Comparing the same lens, same f/stop, same subject, the edges are a little more sharp with the RB(although I have to view through a 10X loupe to notice)

Since I shoot mostly people pictures, I don't really care if my edges are a little soft. If you are a real stickler for film flatness you might prefer the RB.
jpmose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Linhof roll film backs do a great job and will fit a Graflok back. However, they are costly! Check the Ebay for recent sales figures. Good luck!

JP Mose
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: