Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Film advance problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Film advance problem Reply with quote

Hello, gentlemen, first post. I have recently started shooting with a newly acquired used 4x5 view camera with Graflex 23 roll film back. Yesterday I had the film load and advance correctly for half a roll then the second half of the roll was all multiply exposed over one frame although I know I was turning the film advance knob. I did download film loading instructions but is there something I'm doing wrong or is this an issue with the older backs?

Thanks!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the RFH, take the insert out as you would to load film then hold the wind key while turning the advance knob (wind lever on RH models). The wind key should be solid with the wind shaft, if the key slips then it is stripped. The wind key is the piece on the end of the wind shaft that mates into the end of the film take up spool and turns the spool when advancing the film.

The wind key is left hand thread. Hold the wind shaft stationary to unscrew the wind key from the shaft. Mix some JB Weld and apply to the threads inside the wind key then reinstall the wind key and allow the JB Weld to cure. Locktite 271 or similar thread locker may work also depending on how badly stripped the threads are.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. The wind key is left-hand threaded precisely because it will tend to tighten itself during wind on. If it's stripped (although I can't think why it should be), then the only solution would be to stop it from turning. Of course, the JB Weld will accomplish this, but then you'd not be able to remove the key, at least not easily, should that be necessary at some point. A better solution, assuming ideal availability of parts (ha!), is to identify the culprit, either the wind key or its shaft, and replace; the latter would involve partial disassembly of the roll back. Just my 2¢ worth. Good luck!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pinion shaft (wind shaft) is steel. The wind key is aluminum or similar softer metal. As the film is wound it keeps the key tight. If the film binds during transport or the drive gearing is not running smoothly then extra force is applied to the wind key resulting in the threads inside the key stripping. A machinist could make a new key using the old one as a template. The pinion shaft does not have to be removed from the insert to do a complete CLA on the RFH. The only reason to remove the shaft is to replace it.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. I was thinking about the possibility of the threads on the shaft itself somehow being stripped; not a likely event, I grant you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: