Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash exposure troubles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gyron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Flash exposure troubles Reply with quote

I've got a Crown Graphic which is working fine, but I'm now trying to work out how to use it for flash photography. The setup is basically:

• Crown Graphic with a side-mounted Kalart rangefinder
  • Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 5.6/150 lens, with a single-post X connector
  • Graflex "No. 2773" 3-cell flash with 5 inch reflector
  • Several #5 bulbs
One end of the flash cable was connected to the single X connector on the lens, and the other goes to the "Shutter" connector on the flash body. The flash body was set to "N". The exposure was 1/125 f8 at 10 feet on ISO 125 film, but the shots came out grossly underexposed (i.e., extremely thin negatives, almost useless).

I wouldn't have thought my exposure was that far wrong, so I suspect either that I'm setting up the gear incorrectly or I haven't got the right combination to make this work. (For example, some things I've read online imply that I need a solenoid which I don't have.)

Flash bulb photography is new to me, I'm used to using electronic flashes but I'd like to learn how to the "old style" flash photos.

I intend to try some more experiments but I don't want to use up too many flash bulbs, I can't source them locally so they work out fairly expensive for me.

Does anyone have any advice for where I'm going wrong?

Thanks.

P.S. I should mention in case it's not clear; yes, I'm certain the flash did fire on each occasion, it's blindingly bright and impossible to miss!

Last edited by gyron on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
bruiser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi (fellow Aussie) gyron!

Your main problem is that bulbs don't sync with the X connection.

A shutter with 'M' setting is what you need as these fire the bulb a few milliseconds BEFORE the shutter opens. This allows the bulb to achieve peak brightness as the shutter opens.

A shutter with X setting is fine for instantaneous electronic flash but opens too quickly for bulbs, hence the underexposure.

A Graflex Graphex shutter or similar will do the job or any other shutter with M (for normal flashbulbs) or F ( for fast-speed bulbs) settings.

Cheers,
Bruce
http://graflex.coffsbiz.com
gyron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruiser wrote:
A shutter with X setting is fine for instantaneous electronic flash but opens too quickly for bulbs, hence the underexposure.

I did suspect something along those lines; that the timing of the flash & shutter opening weren't compatible.

Now I suppose I'll need to find a suitable new lens etc. (I've never changed lenses on one of these, I'll do some reading to work out what's involved.)

Thanks for your help.
bruiser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I just sent you a PM with a link to what you need!

Cheers,
Bruce
http://graflex.coffsbiz.com
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread may be of some help.
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6029
gyron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
This thread may be of some help.
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6029

Thanks for the pointer, that thread does have lots of interesting information. It sounds like my lens/shutter can be modified to do what I need but I fear that process would be beyond me.

As bruiser suggests, I'm going to look for a Graphex shutter & lens & lensboard, once I get my head around what's involved. If that fails I'll consider buying a second Crown for flash photography and keep my current one for daylight photography.

Hmm... this kit sounds great, other than the price!
http://www.collectiblecameras.com/product.php?productid=173278&cat=290&page=1
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-Solenoids-x2-/350467044831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519976b5df

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTRIC-SHUTTER-RELEASE-SOLENOID-3-GRAFLEX-VIEW-/290597539531?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item43a8f68ecb
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you try one exposure at same aperture and distance but with a shutter speed of 1/30 or slower. That should leave the shutter open long enough for the flashbulb to come up to full brightness.

C. Henry
gyron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C. Henry wrote:
Suggest you try one exposure at same aperture and distance but with a shutter speed of 1/30 or slower. That should leave the shutter open long enough for the flashbulb to come up to full brightness.

That's a good idea, I'll try it. If nothing else it'll be interesting to see the different result with some different shutter speeds. And I'm less likely to make a mess of that than I would be trying to fit and calibrate a solenoid
gyron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated follow-up. I finally had the opportunity to try C.Henry's suggestion:

gyron wrote:
C. Henry wrote:
That's a good idea, I'll try it. If nothing else it'll be interesting to see the different result with some different shutter speeds. And I'm less likely to make a mess of that than I would be trying to fit and calibrate a solenoid

In particular, I ended up testing 1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15 and 1/8. All with the original settings, ie f8 on ISO125 at 10 feet, using Number 5 bulbs.

I understand that the root cause of my problems is that the peak of the flash bulb output doesn't match my shutter opening, but I was trying to work around the problem by using a longer shutter speed. I got a good range of results from this experiment;

• 1/250 was grossly underexposed, virtually no usable information on the negative (extremely thin negative)
  • 1/125 had a recognisable image, but still very thin.
  • 1/60 didn't work due to my brain-fade with the dark slide, oops!
  • 1/30 is a good usable image, but a little underexposed. Quite usable though.
  • 1/15 looks good.
  • 1/8 looks very similar to 1/15, no real noticable difference (at least not one that I can discern without a densitometer)
So for now I'll stick with shooting this camera & flash setup at 1/15 assuming the other parameters, but it'd probably be more practical to use ISO400 film at a shutter speed of 1/60. (I'm using B&W film that I'm developing myself, so I have a fair bit of latitude.)

It's not an ideal solution but at least I can now do some flash photography until I either do a solenoid modification or I change the lens & shutter. Now all I need is to find a source of number 5 bulbs that will ship to me, I've almost run out

Thanks.
SYNCHROJAMES

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Flash bulbs Reply with quote

T don't know how much it will cost to ship, but Pacific Rim Camera in Oregon, USA charges $15.00 U.S. for a box of 12 press 25 or 5 bulbs. Best price I've found. I also picked up a HR solenoid for my CG (GRAPHEX X Contacts) for $15.00 U.S. Overall quite pleased with items purchased, and fast service. I even traded some AG1's for two boxes of 25's.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: