Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Graphic Archeology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jk10003

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Speed Graphic Archeology Reply with quote

Odd that i should wait until I am my father's age to find out more about the Speed Graphic 3x4 he used and I have always kept. Now that I have a source and I know where to find the serial number, can anyone tell me more about this Speed Graphic, serial number 253529? Looking around, it appears that it may be from 1941-1942 (It would make sense that he bought it when my sister was born.)

I know it's now pretty futile to consider taking pictures with it, but I just want to check with the experts that the Fujifilm instant film PA-145 backs I have been looking at (for a Calumet) won't do me any good on this Speed Graphic, although they are 3 1/4 x 4 1/4?

Thanks much for any info.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a 1940 Anniversary Speed Graphic. You can read up on it at
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/anniversary-graphic.html (home page>cameras>graphic model history>anniversary speed graphic) .

The PA 145 http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/fujifilm_instant_films/pack_holder/
is for 4x5 cameras and produces 3x4 image size.

Roll film holders were made for 3x4 cameras that allow one to use 120 roll film. They show up occasionally on ebay.

Freestyle http://www.freestylephoto.biz/index.php sells 3x4 sheet film (B&W) in case the camera kit has some sheet film holders and a light meter with it.

What lens and shutter is with the camera?
jk10003

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I actually used the lens was probably 50 years ago, but it says Carl Zeiss Jena f4.5 135mm Tessar,No. 2462496, F. Deckel Munchen Compur.

Truth of the matter is that my interest has been revived because I expect to acquire a Calumet CC-400 from a friend who is not using it, and I hope this will be my re-entry into Large Format, but, at the same time, I am anxious to find out what I can about the Speed Graphic, and even see if it's still possible to take pictures with it without very specialized equipment (I think not).
jk10003

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which kind of back does it have? Please excuse my confusion, but I have been reading, and doing my best to understand.
To use the sheet film holders that are with it, you must remove the ground glass entirely, insert the slot on one side of the film holder onto a stationary ridge on the camera back, and move the metal spring on the other side down into the other groove on the holder. This means it's a Graflex back? (The mere fact that you have to remove the ground glass entirely means it's Graflex, right?)
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/Anniversary.pdf

If the back has a spring top and bottom then you pull back on the right side and slide the film holder in until it locks in place.
This is called a Graphic or Spring back.

If the back has a fixed ground glass in a frame that comes off when you release the top slider bar then it is a Graflex back. Graflex backs only accept Graflex accessories, standard film holders will not work without modification to the back or holder.

Still confused, upload a picture of the back to a image hosting site then link or embed it here using that sites form code(s).

Yes, the Graflok, aka International, Back was made available as a retrofit for the Anniversary or someone may have swapped a Pacemaker Graflok onto the Anny. Standard film holders fit either by sliding under the ground glass or by removing the ground glass and locking in place with the slide bars.

Repair manual: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/AnniversaryService1.pdf
jk10003

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VERY much for all the information you have supplied. Going by your description, I think it must be a Graflex back, but just to be sure, here are pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11686139@N04/sets/72157626813012796/
Code:
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Graflex back.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its a Graflex. The Side Rangefinder should be calibrated to the lens so you can mount a film holder, focus with the RF, and make the exposure.

To check the RF-Lens calibration
1. With the rails fully retracted slide the front standard out to the infinity stops and lock, turn the focus knob until an object at infinity is in sharp focus. Position the RF view window on the same object, the image should be in coincidence.

If no infinity stops are installed retract the rails fully then turn forward .040 (1/32) inch and lock. Slide the front standard out and lock with the infinity target in sharp focus on the ground glass then check the RF image for coincidence.

2. Next focus on a target 25 feet away then 10 feet away. The ground glass and rangefinder image should agree at all distances up to 10 feet. Some lens/rf combos will focus to 4 feet on the close distance.

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-adjustment.html
jk10003

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a Graflex back, what would be the exact designation for a 120 roll film holder that would fit, if I wanted to look for one on eBay?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphic 22 or Graphic 23 for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 cameras.

The Graphic 22 yields 12 6cm x 6cm (2 inch x 2 inch) images per roll of 120 film.
The Graphic 23 yields 8 6cm x 9cm (2 inch x 3 inch) images per roll of 120 film.

These RFH's were made for 2x3, 3x4, and 4x5 cameras and fit either Graphic/Graflok or Graflex backs. The film gate side matches the back opening of the camera.

Item number: 270755865056 might be worth the gamble.

The RH series of roll film holders were not made in Graflex back versions.
jk10003

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Graphic 22 and Graphic 23 holders are advertised for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 (on eBay). Will everything that's designated Graphic 22 or Graphic 23 work on the 3 1/4 x 4 1/4?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphic 22 or 23 for 3x4 only. The camera side will have both a ridge for Graphic/Graflok back and a Grove for the Graflex back.
Graphic 22 or 23 or RH series can be used once the 3x4 camera back has been modified to accept them.

Graphic 22 or 23 for 4x5 cannot be used without a more extensive modification to the camera back and recalibration of the rangefinder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: