Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When was my new Crown really brand spanking new?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benign

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: When was my new Crown really brand spanking new? Reply with quote

Hello all - new to the forum and Graflex cameras.
Got my first Graflex last week! The info and posts on this forum really helped me when deciding on what camera to buy – Thanks!

The camera is a Pacemaker Speed Graphic with top RF, Graflok back and a Ektar 127 1:4,7 w/ Synchro-Compur shutter. It has very little signs of wear and, after going through the camera, it seems like every single screw is there.
I’m very happy!

With a new old camera in my hand, I have a couple of questions:

Just like any other newbie, I’d really appreciate help with dating my camera.
It has a plate on the inside of the front lid, below the rails with the number 902400 on it. I guess that is the s/n even though I’m a bit confused by posts saying the number should be in ink under the bed or on the inside of the body, under the RF.
The lens has s/n RR1757 and the number D30852P14 is stamped into the back of the lens board.

Is it likely that camera and lens are of the same age and actually came as a kit?

Reading through the FAQ and other information here, I understand that the top RF puts it somewhere between 1955 and 1973.
The same reading also makes me curious, was there really no changes from ’55 to ’73 - not a single screw?

Thankful for any information!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serial Numbers, donated as SN or S/N, were assigned in blocks, the block listed in a book, the date the entry was made in the book, then the cameras were built as demand deemed necessary.
Date Codes ( http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=3321 ) were stamped under the rail starting in 1960.

902xxx is in the middle of a block of numbers listed in the book in Dec. 1954 with the next major listing in May 1955 so yours came off the assembly line in the first quarter of 1955.
The lens serial number is 1955, see
http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/lenses.html#EktarLenses

There were lots of minor changes made but no major ones. Common changes were a different vendor for a part, the part design changed, or similar. You will be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 55 Crown and a 73 Crown even if you disassemble both and compare the parts.

Visit http://www.southbristolviews.com/ and click on the graflex manuals link for a service manual and other useful manuals.
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html also has some Graflex/Graphic manuals (you have to save each page).
benign

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks 45PSS!

Even though I’m not a collector, it’s still fun to know the age of the camera.
Both camera and lens being made in the same year makes sense.
The focusing scale and cam matches the lens (just needed some minor adjustments),
just one set of infinity stops and there are no traces of other focusing scales ever
being fitted – this might be the only lens this camera has ever seen.

Also, thanks for the links to the manuals – most useful.
I’d say the camera itself is pretty straight forward. However, it’s very nice
to know what’s going to come loose or fall out as one loosens a screw
(as well as how to put it back together again).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: