Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rollfilm back 6x12 for Graflex 4x5?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
renes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Rollfilm back 6x12 for Graflex 4x5? Reply with quote

Hi,

I consider to buy Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5 camera and want to use it also for panoramic 6x12. Is it any 6x12 rollfilm back that fits to Graflex?
Les

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several 6x12 backs that fit the Graflok back. (with modern cameras it's called an international back, but it's the same thing.
I did a quick search on ebay and found this in the U.S.
there is the Horseman Roll Film back For 600.00
A Sinar 6x12 back for 900.00
or a Linhof Rollex back for 1,400.00

The cheapest is a chinese roll back for 300.00

In Warsaw it may be different, but comparing it to 4x5 sheet film, you would have to use a lot of roll film to pay the extra cost of one of these holders.

As an example. I can buy 4x5 sheet film from Freestyle for about 50 cents a sheet. A roll of 120 is a bit more than $2.00. You get 6 shots on a roll of 120 so I'd need 6 sheets or $3.00 worth of sheet film too equal a roll of 120 film. The roll film saves $1. If you process it yourself you might save another dollar by using roll film.

that means you'd need to shoot 150 rolls of film to pay for the cheapest back. and 300 rolls of film if you want a good back.

Or 900 pictures for the cheap back and 1800 pictures for the good back.
How long will it take for you to shoot 1800 pictures?

Now if you want to shoot color negative film or color transparency film, then buying the back is the best way to go as (at least here in the US) it's getting very difficult to process 4x5 color sheet film, but 120 roll film processing is still widely available.
renes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, good 6x12 roll back costs a lot of money, more than Crown Graphic camera with 2-4 lenses. Even chinese backs are not cheap, they look simple (Shen Hao 6x12 or DaYi) but are costly.

BTW. Kodak has just released 120 film: Kodak Ektar Professional 100iso. The reviews are enthusiastics.
aaronml

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the math and found that you don't have to shoot much roll film to pay for the cost of the holder.

Take my favorite film for example. A box of 20 sheets of 4x5 Fuji Astia 100F is $42.00 at Badger (it's $62.99 at Freestyle), making it $2.10 per exposure. A 120 roll of the same film is $4.00, making it $0.67 per exposure (6 exposures at 6x12). It would only take 210 exposures, or 35 rolls of 120, to make up the difference for the cheep 120 back. If you want the good back you would only have to shoot 70 rolls, not 300.

I can easily go through 35 to 70 rolls of 120 over the course of year. Another important point is that film selection is much larger for 120 compared to 4x5, and more labs develop 120 than 4x5.

Reloading 120 film is much easier and can be done in subdued light. Loading 4x5 sheet film must be done in total darkness while managing the holders. For backpacking, a single 120 film holder might be the ticket for some folks, but you should weigh the pros and cons of sheet film vs roll film and decide for yourself.
1banjo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if you thank that you just have to have that panoramic 6x12
all you have to do is get a darkslide that you can cut down !!
you cut it not quit in 1/2 now you can have two panoramic on
one sheet of film ! you put the cut down slide in with it covering the
top half make a shot Now pull it out turn it over put it back in covering the
bottom half And take a shot NOW you have two panoramic

and to compose it do the same thing use the cut down Darkslide
in place over your Ground Glass

and you do have to use the uncut Darkslide for when you take out your
film holder!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: