Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1941 Anniversary Speed Graphic hybrid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbayless

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: 1941 Anniversary Speed Graphic hybrid Reply with quote

I recently brought an interesting Speed Graphic out of storage. Most of what I know about speed graphics -- other than owning a few from back in the day -- comes from this site, hope someone finds this one interesting as well.

It's an Anniversary model (serial number 291554 puts it at 1941 from what I can find online). I spotted the name "Hans Marx" inscribed on the inside of the body while looking for the serial. Turns out that he was a rather well-known photographer for the Baltimore Sun newspaper. That makes sense since I bought the camera when I was living there. He retired well before my time, but the NPPA named him Newspaper Photographer of the Year in 1953 and he had a one-person show at the Smithsonian in 1954. http://gallery.pictopia.com/baltimore/gallery/113652/

So... the camera. The body is an Anniversary, the optical view finder has been removed and there's no sign of a rangefinder ever having been connected. The back is not detachable and only takes standard 4x5 film holders. Bed and body track rails are linked. There's a drop bed, with spring type "bed braces" or infinity stops (not folding).

The front standard, however, must have been replaced at some point with one from a Pacemaker. It has the telescoping front finder frame (not wire) and isn't black, etc. Interestingly, the standard has *swing* in addition to the normal movements for the Pacemaker. I don't recognize the attachment to the rails - it's black with three small chrome accents on each side... may that's original from the anniversary? The swing capabilities are clearly a custom mod, with exposed brass and rough drill holes.

Photos are at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41984836@N04/sets/72157625880782056/

I also have a 1951 Pacemaker that I think I bought at the same time. Maybe it was the recipient of some scavenged parts and leather? I may have to scavenge that custom swing standard as well :)
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid year 1941.
Front standard appears to be on top of another front standard base which allows the swing. Where is the shift, Pacemaker standard or the piece attached to the rails?
nbayless

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shift is on the pacemaker (top) part of the standard. When the small screws separate from the brass plates and release the top part from the base -- and the center locking mechanism is also loosened -- the whole top can move freely. So, shift happens along the plane of the front standard, not necessarily perpendicular to the rails.

Can I use this standard on my pacemaker? I can't figure out why one would put the newer, custom parts on an older camera...
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a custom modification so some changing of parts will be necessary to remount the standard back on a Pacemaker.
The modification appears to me to be a Pacemaker lock base with a second lock base and standard on top. The bottom one allows moving and locking along the rails with the top allowing all the other movements. The rail portion may be modified to fit the Anny. rails. Modifying the Anniversary saved the expense of purchasing a Pacemaker body to modify or the Anny. was the owner's favorite camera or ?????????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: