Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ektar 203mm is "soft focus"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
essessem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Ektar 203mm is "soft focus" Reply with quote

Hi all,
Bench testing reveals that my lens (in Flash Supermatic) probably has either a different front or rear lens element from the factory original, or else the hack CLA guy from a couple years ago messed up something. Either way I've got a lens with legendary sharpness acting somewhat better than a Holga. I was told that sellers will swap out a scratchy lens element with one from another lens to make it cosmetically more appealing. eBuyer beware! The embarrassing thing is, I've been shooting with it thinking that was the 'look' it had.

I put in a request to SK Grimes to see if they can realign the lens elements to spec--reply is pending. Anyone in the graflexsphere have suggestions for repairfolk who can do this?
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the main reason that I have removed and retained the front and rear lens elements whenever I have sent a shutter out for repairs. There's no reason for the technician to mess with the lenses when it's only the shutter that needs attention, and besides, the shipping weight is (marginally slightly) less. And the presence or absence of the lenses should not affect the performance of the shutter. Of course, the preceding doesn't apply if there is indeed a lens problem.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK Grimes (and in particular the late Steve Grimes) knew more about lenses and lens mounting than I did and I wouldn't begin to tell them what to do.

From a practical point of view all they really can do is bench test it and move some elements around (there are no cemented elements in a 203 Ektar) Anything beyond that would exceed the cost of the lens.

I suppose it's possible that it was a special lens. Ken Hough told me he found a Protar one time that wouldn't perform at all, and upon disassembly found there was a close up lens element cemented to the front of the lens. The original owner must have ordered it for ordered it for copy work.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a caliper?
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_4.html
Catalog Page 61, light travels the direction of the arrow.

I have not disassembled the groups on mine.

Front edge of front group barrel to rear edge of front group element: .4575 inch. Front barrel edge to rear of barrel thread edge: .4025 inch. Front barrel edge to outer edge of front element: .1325 inch. Rear edge of front group rear element to rear edge of shutter blade: .271 inch with group snug in shutter.

Rear barrel outer edge to inner element outer edge: .471 inch. Barrel outer edge to thread base outer edge: .415 inch. Rear outer barrel edge to front edge of the element at the outer edge: .132 inch. Shutter blade front edge to rear group front element .1555 inch.

Both groups installed on shutter, front to rear: 1.257 inches. Rear group removed, front to shutter mount rear: 1.044 inch. Both groups removed, shutter mount to shutter mount: .809 inch. Rear group to shutter mount front: 1.022 inch.

My digital caliper is accurate to 3 decimal places and toggles from 0 to 5 in the 4th decimal position.
Flash Supermatic M-F shutter. When press to focus button is engaged at T edge of shutter blade is just visible at the outer edge of the opening. Base of caliper set to just touch the blade at the edge with the center just touching the glass with the caliper perpendicular to the shutter.
essessem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The latest is that SK Grimes isn't set up to correct lenses. So short of any techie recommendations, I'll give it a go when the camera is back from the repairman. What have I got to lose?

@Charles: As always, you're a wealth of knowledge and one of the best resources on this site. Once I get the lens in hand I'll likely have some questions for you. I indeed have a digital caliper. (One thing that comes to mind is how to measure lens elements mounted in a shutter.)

Hope everyone's holiday is sharp and contrasty!
1banjo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all
I don't have an older shutterbug they had an add of a shop in Denver CO.
that done lens repair like even new coating on old lens

So if some one has a shutterbug you mite take a look and see if its in there

banjo
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Focal Point, Inc. They do wonderful work. I had a scratch on a front element of a Hassy lens polished out, and the multi-coating replaced. If it means a lot, try them.
1banjo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that then ! Focal Point Inc. 303-665-6640 john@focalpointlens.com
at the time I thank that I was talking to a Mat BUT that was 20 years ago

Banjo
essessem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. I'll definitely be contacting Focal Point this week. I miked the lens and came up with some slight and not-so-slight differences from Charles' figures. I figure there was some difference between lenses due to manufacturing variables. FWIW, my lens is from 1948. Thanks all, and I'll keep you updated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: