Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Graphic Optar 135mm Repair Outstanding.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geneaker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Super Graphic Optar 135mm Repair Outstanding. Reply with quote

Repair service for my Rodenstock Optar 135mm 1000----was outstanding. Charles Monday--I found him on the lens help forum---Quickly repaired the lens/shutter. He kept me informed as to his progress. He even sent me pictures of the lens disassembled---wow--.
So my Super Graphic is back in action ---ready for the decisive moment!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh,
Where do all these gizmos, doohickeys, and thingamajigs go?

yes it's Glen's shutter disassembled.

Last edited by 45PSS on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:02 am; edited 2 times in total
bruiser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually get to the stage in the photo above - then sneeze!

Cheers,
Bruce
http://graflex.coffsbiz.com
bartbob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the exploded view. I like exploded views.

What's the technical term for how long it takes a leaf shutter to change state from either open or shut. In this picture:

the Graflex 1000 appears to do this 2 or 3 times faster than shutters "A" and "B." Could this be part of the problem with these shutters not lasting very long?

Bart
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know the term.

The Graphic 1000 shutter blades have 1 that has the lead edge turned down, 1 with the lead edge turned up, 1 with the lead corner cut flat, and 1 standard. The initial version had 4 standard blades and they would hit one another and strip 1 or more nylon drive gear(s).

The problem is the nylon drive gears. The main drive gear (top right) is tensioned by the springs on the winding gear and regulated by the timing gear train. The main drive gear turns in one direction only. Each of the 4 shutter blade drive gears turn in one direction only. The pin on the blade, the slot it mates into on the shutter blade plate and the elliptical shape of the blade gear seat causes the blade to move from closed to open to closed without reversing direction. Any thing causing a delay on a shutter blade and its nylon drive gear looses a tooth. Bend a blade near the nylon gear seat and alignment pin and the blade tears.
geneaker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sort of makes me sick to think about all that revolving and sliding. However this super lens did not need repair for 40 years . Hooray.

Since I will be 73 my next birthday, I feel sure it will outlast me.

I got my first super in the early 70's; I cannot remember what I did with it; probably, I followed the siren call of the Hasselblad! But eventually, I returned to Large Format 20 years ago. The present Super joined forces with my other view cameras. It's still a favorite.
Long live Graflex!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: