Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fit of rollfilm back on 2x3 Graflex??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Fit of rollfilm back on 2x3 Graflex?? Reply with quote

I've run into a strange (maybe not so strange) problem with a late model RB 2x3 Graflex I just got. The camera is in fine working shape. It came fitted with a groundglass back which I don't intend to use. I have a 2x3 Graflex rollfilm holder that I was sure would fit, but it's just a hair (I mean less than 1mm) too wide. I've been using this holder for years on a 2x3 Pacemaker (with Graflex back) which it fits perfectly.
I thought I'd ask for advice before I did anything like using a file (afraid if I do this the holder would no longer fit so perfectly on my Pacemaker).
Any suggestions or advice would be welcome!
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which vintage is your RFH, knob wind, lever wind, Graflex on its own, General Precision ownership, Singer ownership?

DO NOT file down the RFH.
Suggested course of action: Dress down the existing camera back mount blocks or fabricate new ones the proper width.

Removal of the camera back:
1. Remove the screws on the side of the camera back along both back edges paying attention to what diameter and length screw comes out of each position.
2. Rotate the back roughly 45 degrees. Remove the 4 or 5 screws along the top edge and bottom edge of the back on the film holder side. You will have to move the rotating plate some to access all the screws. The top row may be shorter than the bottom ones.
3. Loosen the two rear screws that hold the wind key plate to the camera body 1/2 to 1 turn.
4. Remove the camera back by pulling straight back on the back frame.
5. With the back rotated off 90 degrees pull back the felt along the top and bottom edges when the film gate is in the landscape position just enough to expose and clear the screw heads of the screws that hold the blocks the slider and base bar are on.
6. Make new blocks from acrylic, wood or other suitable material that are the proper width when installed on the camera back OR file the film opening edge of the existing blocks 1/2 of the extra width of the RFH each.
7. Installation is the reverse of removal. Glue the felt down on the back with contact (permanent) or rubber (easy to remove) cement or similar flexible when dry glue. Be sure to put the proper size screw in the correct hole to prevent damage to the camera. Attempting to tighten the screws beyond snug may strip the mount hole.
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Charles. The RFH is the knob-wind Graflex model. I'll follow your instructions and see how things go. It's odd the RFH doesn't quite fit. I bought it from someone who was selling a 2x3 Graflex and a RFH separately. The holder had been used on that camera, presumably without any problems.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried sitting the bottom edge of the RFH against the lower camera block, then roll the top in while pressing down on the RFH? The blocks may have swelled slightly.
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that but no go. I looked at the camera back carefully while reading through your instructions and noticed what may be a problem. The flange on the right side of the back, besides one screw near the bottom, has two small rivets about 1cm apart located just under the wind-key plate. Would these not continue to hold the back to the body after the screws are removed and I try to pull the back straight out?
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should not affect the back to camera body attachment. They probably attach a spring that holds tension on the rotating plate or similar part that is used on the back assembly as it has a few parts.

You may have to wiggle the back 1/16 to 1/8 inch or 1 to 2 mm depending on how tight it fits or if it is stuck. Anything more might warp or bend the back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: