Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polaroid 4x5 Sheet Film in Graflex Super D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacegoose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Polaroid 4x5 Sheet Film in Graflex Super D Reply with quote

I've tested this film under metered strobe lighting with leaf shutter lenses and get excellent exposures. In my Graflex Super D I'm not having as much luck. My exposures are way overexposed. I never noticed with traditional film but thought to increase my shutter speed from what the meter told me (using reflective) by one stop. Shots are still very muddy and/or way overexposed - e.g. hand-held, 200th of a sec, where meter says 100th of a sec. portrait - I get an image that cannot be discerned.

I'm quite certain I'm not fogging the film after lifting the envelope. I'm using a 545i (camera has a Graflok - the locks do not fully engage the 545i for some reason - where on another Graflok back - they do). I think my camera is light tight - otherwise my film exposures would also be overexposed. Is there something inherent in the focal plane shutter (maybe that it's cloth) that is causing my problem. Or maybe it's just wildly inaccurate (it is over 50 years old ) and I should just keep increasing the speed - or decreasing the aperture? Have kept trying - still getting images that cannot be discerned. It's now more that the images are not discernible, rather than overexposure.

I also wondered about the reciprocity of Polaroid sheet film, and if that might be an issue. I'm having the same issue in this camera (and another Super D with the spring type back) with several types of '08 Polaroid sheet film I acquired from Craigslist (52, 54, 55, etc.). I believe I was able to use pack film both Fuji and Polaroid (in a 550 holder) in this camera successfully.

Could it be the automatic diaphragming? Doesn't seem to be... tried it without (e.g. disengaged the auto diaphragming lever on the lens), issue is different but still nothing discernible appears. Actually I had a similar but not as severe issue with a non automatic diaphragming lens too, on a different Super D yesterday...

Maybe the 545i is not compatible with the Super D?

*I think the problem is when the revolving back is in portrait/vertical mode - with the film pull facing top - the back is not entirely flush. Horizontal (or vertical facing down) does not to have this issue. I'm betting this is my issue. Will report back!

That was the issue - feeling silly now.

Thanks,
Bill
spacegoose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Polaroid 4x5 Sheet Film in Graflex Super D Reply with quote

spacegoose wrote:
I've tested this film under metered strobe lighting with leaf shutter lenses and get excellent exposures. In my Graflex Super D I'm not having as much luck. My exposures are way overexposed. I never noticed with traditional film but thought to increase my shutter speed from what the meter told me (using reflective) by one stop. Shots are still very muddy and/or way overexposed - e.g. hand-held, 200th of a sec, where meter says 100th of a sec. portrait - I get an image that cannot be discerned.

I'm quite certain I'm not fogging the film after lifting the envelope. I'm using a 545i (camera has a Graflok - the locks do not fully engage the 545i for some reason - where on another Graflok back - they do). I think my camera is light tight - otherwise my film exposures would also be overexposed. Is there something inherent in the focal plane shutter (maybe that it's cloth) that is causing my problem. Or maybe it's just wildly inaccurate (it is over 50 years old ) and I should just keep increasing the speed - or decreasing the aperture? Have kept trying - still getting images that cannot be discerned. It's now more that the images are not discernible, rather than overexposure.

I also wondered about the reciprocity of Polaroid sheet film, and if that might be an issue. I'm having the same issue in this camera (and another Super D with the spring type back) with several types of '08 Polaroid sheet film I acquired from Craigslist (52, 54, 55, etc.). I believe I was able to use pack film both Fuji and Polaroid (in a 550 holder) in this camera successfully.

Could it be the automatic diaphragming? Doesn't seem to be... tried it without (e.g. disengaged the auto diaphragming lever on the lens), issue is different but still nothing discernible appears. Actually I had a similar but not as severe issue with a non automatic diaphragming lens too, on a different Super D yesterday...

Maybe the 545i is not compatible with the Super D?

*I think the problem is when the revolving back is in portrait/vertical mode - with the film pull facing top - the back is not entirely flush. Horizontal (or vertical facing down) does not have this issue. I'm betting this is my issue. Will report back!

That was the issue - feeling silly now.

Thanks,
Bill
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your shutter may need a CLA [Clean, Lubricate and Adjust] done.

Steve
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm quite certain I'm not fogging the film after lifting the envelope. I'm using a 545i (camera has a Graflok - the locks do not fully engage the 545i for some reason - where on another Graflok back - they do).

Your Super D has a Graflex back and requires Graflex film holders. The 545i Polaroid film holder is for Graflok backs, it will not fit properly on your Super D unless you modify the camera to accept Graflok accessories. Graflex holders are 3/16 to 1/4 inch wider than Graflok/standard film holders.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very late Graflex backs look similar to Graflok backs. The easiest 'tell' is the sliders on Graflex backs are continuous and there isn't a hook for the ground glass frame.

Graflok backs have sliders that engage in two places with a gap where the hook is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: