Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berenice Abbot auction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klotz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Berenice Abbot auction Reply with quote

artnet Auctions is offering until August 18, 2010 a group of 20 photographs by Berenice Abbott from 1927-1948. These works include important images from her Changing New York project of 1935-1939, her masterpiece Night View, as well as portraits from her years in Paris and also later in New York.

http://graflex.org/news/2010/08/berenice-abbot-artnet/
tsgrimm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Looks too rich for my checkbook though.
bruiser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her work was (and still is) wonderful. View camera use at its finest and the 'Exchange Place' image is not only a great crop but an indication that the lens designers art hasn't really advanced that much. Sure we have more speed in some designs now but that straightness of line is classic.

However, priced a little beyond my means too!

Cheers,
Bruce
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a doorman at the Lyric Theater when I was in high school, but not the one pictured.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Dover Publications reprint of Abbott's "New York in the Thirties" still in print? I've owned my copy for years, and look at it often. (Interesting to see the same two or three male models turn up in those photos---she wasn't above "arranging" things for artistic effect!)

We had a Lyric Theater, vintage 1900, here in Allentown. Today it's Symphony Hall and owned by the Allentown Symphony Association. The architect was one of the McElfatrick clan, well-known New York theater architects in the late 19th-early 20th centuries. As the Lyric it was home to probably the last gasp (pun intended) of the burley-cue circuit in the East; that all ended in the 1970s, IIRC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: