Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Graphic camera

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crainier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Speed Graphic camera Reply with quote

Hello: I am new to the Speed Graphic cameras, but not new to large format. Hence I am on a little bit of a learning curve- pls excuse my question! As I investigate purchasing a Speed Graphic camera, I am a little confused. Are all Speed Graphic's equiped with the rear camera shutter? I am about to purchase the Barrell Aero Ektar 7 Inch F 2.5 lens to mount on the camera. What would be the best Speed Graphic camera to use with that lens which does not have a built in shutter ( needing as well the camera movements associated with the shallow dept of field one can get with this lens.. )

Thank-you!

C.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything with the name "Speed Graphic" on the front has an internal focal plane shutter. Anything with the names "Crown Graphic", "Super Graphic" or "Super Speed Graphic" will not have a focal plane shutter.
graphicdave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crainier,

Speed Graphic's come in 3 different film formats and a few different era's of developement with the Pacemaker being the latest and better choice, IMHO;

2 1/4 X 3 1/4

3 1/4 X 4 1/4

4 X 5

You'll need to decide which film format you want to use. Film is still available for all three formats but the type is limited in the 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 and 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 sheet film sizes. Roll film holders for 120 film can be used in all three cameras and gives several choices as does 4 X 5 sheet film.

Hope this doesn't confuse or discourage you too much. Questions, even the elusive stupid one, are welcome and encouraged!
bruiser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crainier,

As the 7" Aero Ektar barely fits onto a 4x5 Speed Graphic it's probably the only option. I've never seen one fitted to the smaller formats. The shallow depth of field effect would be more pronounced on the 4x5 format anyway.

The Pacemaker Speed front standard is maybe the strongest to support that lens. Have you chosen how to mount the lens?

Good website:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~lommen9/aero/

and another (scroll down a bit):
http://www.johndesq.com/graflex/fastlane.htm

Have fun!!
Bruce
http://graflex.coffsbiz.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: