Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning a Graflex Vulcanoid Handicase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than a rag dampened with water and some "elbow grease" does anyone have anything special that they use to clean and/or maintain the condition of their Graflex Vulcanoid Handicase?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Graffic View I used to own came in one that was covered with caution and fragile warning labels that were faded and dried. I used Mostenblockers Lift Off #2 to remove them. It leaves a residue simular to Lemon Oil. I ended up using it on the entire case, and it looked good for the rest of the year and one-half that I owned it.

IO believe the case to be simular to fiberboard, a wood product. Any cleaner that is safe to painted surfaces, toped off with a very light coat of lemon oil or simular should work very well.

Charles

Graflite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles, thanks for the mention of the Mostenblockers Lift Off #2, the #4266 case that I recently acquired came to me in great shape and cleaned up very well with a damp cloth wetted with water, there were a few black scuff marks that might be cleaned up with the Lift Off #2, but overall it is in very good shape.

I had also thought of using the Lemon Pledge that I use on the bellows of my Crown for the overall case, but I"ll try the bottom of the case first and see how it looks.

As an FYI, the #4266 case is listed as being made for the Super Graphic Camera, but my Pacemaker Crown 4 x 5 fits very nicely, the slot for the Presslock tripod mount I use for my flash cords and the slot for the 7" reflector I use for flashbulbs.

The case came with the original Graflex paper showing the diagram for the suggested storage arrangement, so if anyone is interested I can scan the paper into a JPEG file and send it to you by e-mail.

I don't have a personal web page, but if Graflex.org would like, I can send the scan of this paper to the Graflex.org site, and if others had similar pages like this for other case models, they could also contribute a scan so that others might view them for information, just an idea if anyone is interested?

graflite
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflite
If Graflex.org isn't interested, I will put it on my web site with my other Graflex Manuals. email..... hmartin@tns.net . Web site http://www.angelfire.com/art/architecturalphoto
click Graflex Directory.
Harry
jpmose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

While we're on the subject of Vulcanoid cases, does anyone know of a replacement for the sponge that lines the bottom of the camera compartment? Every time I pull out my Super Graphic from the case, there are traces of the material on the camera. Of course, being a collector, I would pefer to replace it with something that is a exact or close replica. If I recall, it is gray in color. Any ideas? Thanks.

Best regards,

J. P Mose
Graflite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked closely at the foam in my case and it appears to be a very dense foam cell sponge unlike the replacement foam one might purchase from say, Delta 1, which to me seems to be more open or less dense.

It is still in good shape and not fragile as in falling apart and flaking or turning gummy as I have seen some foam do.

My foam is very dark gray in color, but I wonder now if it darkens with age, the replacement foam that I have laying around is somewhat lighter gray in color.

I had thought (for my case) to have a piece of foam sewn into a fabric, much like a thin pillow and place it down inside the compartment, this way if the foam does flake off it won't come in contact with the camera, but will still provide cushioning and support.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search for the replacement foam.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: