Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted Graflex Jr.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brouser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Wanted Graflex Jr. Reply with quote

I am new to this site, sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in.

I am looking to buy a Graflex Jr., it can be 100% complete or parts. It can be super nice condition or just so-so. Please contact me and let me know what you have.

Thank you,
Eric
ewphotography@yahoo.com
DHF845

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the 2x3 in. 'Auto Graflex Junior' made from 1915 to 1923? Watch ebay. Auto Graflex Juniors come around every few months. That's where I got mine. Keep in mind, these are old cameras, even for Graflex SLR's. Do you plan on shooting photos with it? It isn't a great 'user'.
I suspect these small, inexpensive cameras were not made to the same high standard as larger, more expensive professional models, I.E.: the RB Auto Graflex, Home Portrait Graflex, Press Graflex, or RB Telescopic Graflex.
Chances are the curtain and bellows will be dried out, needing replacement. I think the shutter curtain cloth and bellows material, were not as robust as on the bigger professional models.
Have you considered its replacement, the 2x3 in. RB Series B? Made continuously, without any change in design, from 1923 to 1951. Plenty of WWII-era models around in very good, ready-to-use condition.
In my experience, it's hard to find 1920's and earlier cameras that work without major repairs.
brouser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply & info.

I am looking for a Jr. definitely. And I definitely will be shooting with it. Do you have any leads right now? Or any spare parts? Just curious, is the 2x3 curtain/shutter the same size as the Jr.? I have never had these two side by side to compare.

Thanks again,
Eric
semihemi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we yet 100% sure which camera the original poster is looking for? I can recall at least two "Junior" cameras: the Auto Graflex Junior and the Revolving Back Graflex Junior. And if you are looking for the reverse wind curtain of the former but can stand a camera without the "Junior" moniker, then there is the plain old Series B 2x3 camera.

In any case, an Auto Graflex Junior just sold on eBay for well under $100 including a rollfilm back. Item number was 360220627322.

Hope this is of some help clarifying things.

Best,
Semi
semihemi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for additional Hollywood intrigue, I flipped through Paine and there is also an earlier Auto Graflex Jr. that took 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 film.
brouser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interest.

That Ebay #360220627322 is the exact model/size I am referring to.

Any leads on buying one? Other than searching Ebay.
semihemi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I see any advantage to avoiding eBay on this type of item. Just assume the shutter is toast regardless of what the ad says. Otherwise you could post an ad on photo.net.

Can you let us know the particular requirement for this exact camera?

Thanks,
Semi
DHF845

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brouser wrote:
Thanks for the reply & info.

I am looking for a Jr. definitely. And I definitely will be shooting with it. Do you have any leads right now? Or any spare parts? Just curious, is the 2x3 curtain/shutter the same size as the Jr.? I have never had these two side by side to compare.

Thanks again,
Eric

Eric- Best lead is to follow ebay. Lots of Graflexes out there. Only way to get parts for a 2x3 Auto Jr. is to find a parts camera to cannibalize. 2x3 Auto JR. curtain is unique, winds around top roller backwards. Only match is 1925-26 2x3 Series B (With Fixed Back). Good luck finding one. Curtains of other sizes/types won't fit-different length + spaces between curtain slits. Yes, I've had 2x3 Auto Jr., 2x3 Series B, and 2x3 RB Series B sitting side-by-side. What info are you looking for?
If you want a camera you can get parts for, try a 2x3 RB Series B, produced (with no design changes) from 1923 to 1951. Lots of this model out there.
How to buy a Graflex on ebay: Ask seller questions: (1) Is shutter curtain cloth dry, cracked, torn, pin-holed (should be smooth, flexible, intact)? (2) Is bellows intact (not torn, cracked or holed)? (3) Is ground glass screen and mirror surface intact (watch out for cracked GG, and mirror de-silvering or scratches-mirror is expensive to replace)? (4) Is lens in good shape (no haze, cloudiness, severe scratches, separation, fungus)? (5) Can they wind up + release shutter? (6) When they set mirror down and look through lens with iris wide open, is the image clear and reasonably bright?
If they're able to answer "yes" to these questions, you pretty much have a guarantee of a working camera: if a seller misrepresents an item as working (when it isn't), ebay and paypal will give you a refund.

We've established you're a photographer who needs a working camera. Have you looked at a 2x3 RB Series B? As an alternative to a Hasselblad, IMHO, 2x3 RB Series B is a better machine, easier to work with than 2x3 Auto Graflex Jr. (no offense to those who prefer the Auto Jr.).
Ebay camera mentioned will not function properly with GRAFLEX 22 or 23 roll-holder as shown. BELIEVE ME, I just tried this out on MY 2x3 Auto Jr. with my GRAFLEX 22 & 23 Roll-holders!! Evilbay seller appears to have insert jammed in cockeyed. Maybe he managed to get back to shut, but it will leak light, and eventually plastic will break (unless he ground down the light-baffles/ridges, in which case it won't seat properly). Goes to show-let buyer beware!

Anyone who knows knob-wind Graflex 22/23 roll-holders knows: insert only fits with knob on top. Base-plate has ridges that form light baffles. They're contoured to only allow insert to sit ONE way: knob UP (omitted on late model Singer/lever-wind backs for Graflok-equipped cameras- later backs allow inverted inserts).
Not trying to rain on parade. You can use a 'SUYDAM 120 Roll Film Adapter'. My Auto Jr. came with one attached. Not a bad piece of tin... but lacks auto advance/frame counter (you use a ruby window to wind on, which limits choices of film).

Best advice is, read all you can about these cameras, starting with Paine's "A Review of Graflex". Ask people on this site lots of questions. Know which model you want, what you're going to shoot with it, etc. Learn about its problem areas. Search this forum to read about other people's experiences + problems with these cameras.

Graflex SLRs and Graphic press cameras were the best large format, professional-grade tools ever built- anywhere, by anyone. Tens of thousands of them survived intact (many fully functional without major repairs!). It's testament to their 'build quality', and the integrity of the machinists, opticians and craftsmen who fabricated each one by hand. These 'beasts' survived time's ravages, two World Wars, the onslaught of technological 'progress', and the changing tastes of camera-buying public, which left them 'orphan' cameras (Graflex, Inc. died-the cameras long outlived it!). They're magnificent pieces of craftsmanship, and DESERVE to be used!
No matter what model you end up with, you made the right choice in moving up to GRAFLEX.
brouser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHF845, thanks for all the time & info.

semihemi, I have nothing against Ebay. I already know to look there for items 4 sale, thats why I said other than searching Ebay. I should have been more specific.

I am new to this Graflex site but not with shooting Graflex cameras. I specifically am looking for complete or parts for the Graflex Jr. 2x3. Please let me know if you have something 4 sale or any leads.

Thanks again,
Eric
Chuckf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Graflex JR Reply with quote

I don'T have one *******... just some advice. Here'S a good link on
this model from a collector user in Holland

http://www.xs4all.nl/~lommen9/junior/index.html

Try and buy a complete camera.. you won't likely find a lens extra anywhere or for that matter a lens board.
I've got a complete camera minus these two pieces. I figured I could get the other pieces cheap at a later point. Might as well buy another complete camera! Grrr While I could theoretically fabricate something for a lens board and find a reasonable facsimilie lens... the "real McCoy" eludes me and I suspect you won't be able to find pieces either! Aggravating!
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brouser:

I just noticed your thread of WTB a Graflex Jr.

Please note we don't permit such ads on this site. We don't mind a question about any known sources for an item, but not a direct solicitation from members of this form.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Alec Jones
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Jr Graflex Reply with quote

Email me at bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
Have a nice day.........Bert
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: response to chuck f Reply with quote

Chuck F,
Contact me at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
May be of some help!
Have a nice day.......Bert
semihemi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall if we ever established the exact reason for the urge to buy a Junior, but if it was just the reverse wind shutter then you might want to follow this beauty on eBay. Even more precious than the Junior! Item number is 270529917849. Good luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: