Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

speedgraphic 31/4-41/4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricarb173

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: speedgraphic 31/4-41/4 Reply with quote

first graphic camera want to try large format brought on ebay needs lens board the lens is optar 101mm F4.5 wear can 1- buy one 2- are all lens board for greaphic cameras the same size square whats the 31/4-41/4 for3- can i make a lens board I just want the camera to work play on buying a new tachhihara4x5 unless i can find a speed graphic in great shape I tryed some camera stores no luck thank for any help
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to tell us the model of your camera. There are two styles of lens board. Early ones are wood with square corners. Later ones are metal with rounded corners. You can easily make the wood boards. Metal boards - not easy to make. You can contact Jim at Midwest Photo for boards. www.mpex.com
I doubt the lens you have will cover 3X4 at infinity. For macro work it will cover. The standard lens for 3X4 was a 127mm f4.7 Ektar or equivalent. Lots of them used a 135mm lens, either of which will also cover 4X5. 3X4 film is only available in a couple of black & white emulsions, from Freestyle Sales, Digitaltruth.com, and few others. Good luck on your hunt for a 4X5 Speed Graphic. You will not find one in a camera store. Last time I went to one, I couldn't find much of anything that wasn't digital. (Ugh!)

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? Wot? Run-on sentences are hard to read. SLOW DOWN!

What did you buy? A lens, a camera, both?

If the lens is a 101/4.5 the camera had better be a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 'cos the 101 is normal for 2x3 (shorthand for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4), won't cover 3x4.

To learn what "cover" means, go here http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ and read nearly everything.

To learn more about Graphics in particular, go here http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/ and read everything.

Making boards for Anniversary and older Graphics isn't that hard, they're wooden. Making boards for Pacemaker Graphics isn't easy, they're metal, have thin lips that got into the light trap.

If you want a Tachi just get one, Graphics aren't good substitutes.

After you've calmed down, come back and ask y'r question more clearly. If you know what you have, one of us will look in the bible (Graphic Graflex Photography, there are many editions) and tell you what size board your camera takes. But on the whole if you know what size your camera is you'll probably be better off buying than making.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: