Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accessory focal plane shutter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Accessory focal plane shutter Reply with quote

Every now and then one of the Graflex accessory focal plane shutters for a view camera will show up. The 8X10 version is the only one I've heard of. Until now, that is. I have acquired one that fits my 5X7 Kodak 2-D field camera. The clear opening is 6X8", so if things are spaced just right it may just cover full plate. This thing is very old. It has no maker's name on it, but I'm pretty certain it's Graflex. Speeds run from 1/10 to 1/1000. It's operational but it needs a new curtain, which I doubt I can afford. Has anyone else heard of a 5X7 or full plate version of these?

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See page (catalog) 53 of the 1916 Graflex and Graphic Cameras Catalog . They were made for 4x5; 5x7;6x8; and 8x10.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oldest versions will say "Auto Shutter" on it somewhere, and usually Folmer & Schwing Co. Rochester, NY though I suspect they used these plates after they were F&S Div. of Ekc. The Auto shutter style has the shutter speed table set in a parallelogram that also parallels the angled edge of the bottom of the aperture plate (the top hardware of the focal plane shutter) and the angled edge of the top of the tension plate (bottom hardware)

Once the Speed Graphic came out the accessory shutter used the same hardware as the Speed with curvy hardware.

I did see a relatively late 4x5 version designed for the Crown View, and I have one that fits the Crown view but has a permanent 3x4 Graflex back, while the 4x5 was backless and used the back from the camera.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, the part that puzzles me, aside from no name anywhere, is the plate on the side, for the winding key and tension hardware, is one continuous plate running down the side. The winding key does not have flat ears, but a pin through the shaft. The speed plate looks similar to any Graflex item, but is a bit heavier and is nickel plated brass. The tension release looks similar to a tiny pair of scissors. I'll see if I can get a digi snap of it and put it here. The leather covering around the sides has a very unusual pattern that I've not seen before on anything.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: