Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex 4x5 to 2¼”x3¼” adapter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lectroliner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Graflex 4x5 to 2¼”x3¼” adapter? Reply with quote

This is my first post here, and I'm looking for information on an unusual Graflex item I just got as part of a Toyo view camera outfit.

It consists of a number of pieces, starting with a base adapter that clips into a standard 4x5 Graflok back. To the base, you can attach either a 2¼”x3¼” Graflok groundglass-type back or a 3¼”x 4¼” Polaroid film pack adapter. The Graflok and Polaroid backs attach to the base plate by means of four pins that lock into sockets on the base.

There also are two spacers that can be inserted between the base plate and the film backs. The spacers are about 3/4" and 1-12" thick and can be used separately or together or not at all.

As with any Graflok back, the groundglass can be removed and replaced with a rollfilm back, Grafmatic, or any other standard accessory.

This apparently is a true Graflex item, since each piece of it is marked "Graflex | General Precision" in neat red printing. But in three years of buying and selling Graflex gear, I've never seen anything like it, and can't find any reference to such a thing.

Obviously the basic purpose of the unit is to allow "Baby" Graphic filmholders to be used on a 4x5 camera, and I suppose the spacers are to facilitate extreme close-up work, like the back extenders Toyo makes for its field and view cameras.

But I'm wondering if this unit was designed for some specific purpose (medical photography?). Would also just like to know what its name is.

I'm probably going to put it up on Ebay, since I have no use for it, but I'd like to call it something other than "weird Graflex thingy."

Thanks for any information any of you can come up with.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "weird Graflex thingy" is the part that locks into the 4x5 Graflok back. The parts with 4 pins are standard XL parts: a Graflok back, Polaroid back, and two macro spacers for close up photography with an XL.

But I'd love to see the adapter that makes these all fit a 4x5 Graflok back.
Does that part have the Graflex Inc./ GP logo on it?
lectroliner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-h-h-h-h! I'm not familiar with XL gear, so I wouldn't have known. The adapter plate says "4x5 Graphic" on its face side, and the part where the backs and spacers attach has the same red "Patents Pending" and "Made in U.S.A" as the other parts, but not the Graflex logo.

Now that I look at it closely, the adapter may have been made by attaching another of those macro spacers to a plate from something else, maybe a rollfilm back. If so, it was done pretty nicely.

If you want to see the thing, let me know how to get you photos of it. Shouldn't a photography site, for heaven's sake, have a simple way of posting images?

Thanks very much for the information.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but if we did, we'd have to start putting up banner ads and pop ups to cover the cost of the extra servers, this way we are lean, clean and free.

If you've got an account with one of the many photo sites, photobucket, shutterfly, etc. put the image up there and post the URL. If not send it to me at LNPhoto@twmi.rr.com and I'll post the photo.

Les
lectroliner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. I'll send you some photos and get myself set up on one of the sites you mentioned.

By the way, I apologize for my critical comments on my first posting. I usually don't make myself obnoxious until the second or third date.

I think I'm going to enjoy this place.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking XL macro spacers, too, but I didn't want to make a fool of myself. I do that enough the way it is.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: